July 28th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

July 28th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and a very good morning to all in the state of NC and beyond. Weather was great over the weekend and only one shoot to report. Three shoots this weekend at Durham County, Rockingham and Buckhorn. Looming on the horizon is the 115th Grand American and it starts on the 6th of August and runs through the 16th. This is a great time of the year to shoot and it all comes down to the big show in Sparta Illinois.

One two-day shoot over the weekend in the shooting oasis of the NC mountains. In olden days the Glenn was held on Friday and of course it involved 300 caps and 100 pair of dubs. Saturday approximately 6600 targets were thrown and 7 shooters completed the 500 target IronMan. Two fellows tied at the top with 464x500 and David Miller and Steve Watson had to shoot it off. Steve won the extra rounds consisting of 25 caps and 20 dubs. Tom Shelley informed me that Morg Shaw will handle the info for the 200 singles and 50 pair of dubs shot Sunday.

Three shoots this weekend with Durham County (program is posted) and Rockingham GC shooting Saturday the 2nd. Buckhorn shoots Sunday the third and the weather look pretty good for the weekend. If you need some birds before the grand this is your chance to slip them in. Durham County and BGC both had MID50 pots in the caps and RGC has 1st/mid/last 50 pots for the handicap event. Come on out and shoot somewhere and we will get the scores posted as soon as we get them for next Monday morning.

I am not sure who all is attending the Grand from NC but I do know that the weather is looking good for the event. I will include a link to the program in case you want to sift through and look at all of the information provided. I consider trapshooting programs "artwork" considering I was an offset printer for many years prior to landing a job in IT. I still have many of the Grand programs that my grandfather put in his shooting scrapbook over the years. I will be tracking the scores during the Grand and hope to give a rundown of all of the activity from day to day. If you are attending and own a smartphone please send me pictures and I will post them on this site.... Email is freddydacrusher@hotmail.com - thanks in advance.

That was scary.......blue screen of death on the laptop and I thought I lost all of the info that I had written. Talked to JC Nunn over the weekend and he was up at the Rock practicing. Lane Murray strapped a prosthesis onto his Seitz Sunday and commenced to dialing that in. The 95 he broke in caps at the Virginia State Shoot was the toughest 100 birds he ever shot the way that Seitz was hitting his cheek. Hopefully this will help keep his head down and get him past all of those 99's he has been breaking in singles.

I ran into Wes Whitworth at the K&W off of Holden Road Thursday. He was accompanied by his nurse and according to her they have been driving to the Rock and shooting rifles. I believe Wes retired from the newspaper and not sure how many registered targets he has shot over the years. It sure was good to see him and he was chowing down on that famous K&W delicacy baked spaghetti.

That is about for now and just got word that Tom Shelley got a punch at the IronMan Saturday. He must have backed into a 96 to get that punch. Some of you might know this but Leo Harrison taught a clinic at Watauga in 200?. He and Karla came up on the way to see their daughter in college and fit us into his schedule. Sure tough knowing that his last shoot was the 2013 Grand American and there is a page dedicated to his memory in the Grand program.

Have a great week and hopefully the weather will cool off a bit this week. Hello to Scott up North and to Lou down in sunny Florida and until next week....................Smokem

Grand American Program:
http://www.shootata.com/AboutUs/GrandAm ... ogram.aspx

ATA Post One Info:
http://www.shootata.com/portals/0/posto ... t_one.html

For the NC shoot calendar mash on the link from NCTRAP:
http://nctrap.com/shoots2014.pdf

For Southern Zone Shoot Info mash on the link below:
http://nctrap.com/sz_dates.htm