May 18th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 18th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning to all and what a great weekend for trapshooting.. CSL shot Saturday and thanks to Mac for posting the report. The South Carolina State Shoot is in the record books and NC shooters shot well in Spartanburg.

Three shoots this weekend at Watauga, LCP and Old Hickory at Rocky Mount. CSL shot Saturday and had a good number considering the crew that shot in Spartanburg. Al Williams won the singles, Danny Lloyd won the caps, Mac won the dubs and the HOA.....Their next shoot is June 27th.

Watauga is cranking up Saturday and Steve Watson says come on up and shoot in the mountains. Steve shot well in SC and Morg was shooting of when I left yesterday in the caps. Not sure how that turned out.

I will work on a more in depth report on the SC State Shoot and get all the pictures posted that were taken.

Have a great Monday and hopefully the additional info will be up tonight!

Take care and hello to Hap, Scott and Lou and until next week..............................Smokem...
smokem

Re: May 18th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

It took a little while to get out of Greensboro on Thursday but I was finally heading to the 100th Annual South Carolina State Trapshoot in Spartanburg South Carolina. I wasn’t in a hurry and since I started hauling JC to SC when he returned to shooting in 20?? It was my first trip solo in many years.

I did stop by the visitors stop at the South Carolina border to pick up a map and write in the travelers log book in the center. JC always liked to get a new map every time we traveled across state lines. I made it to SGC about noon and the handicap was about to crank up. Being the first to arrive with Dave Daily on a cruise, JBird gone on to that trapfield in the sky and the Galloways and Chris shoulars arriving Saturday and Sunday I had the complex to myself.

This was just going to be a take it easy day and I would start shooting Friday. I went to the clubhouse and got Jeff, Hunter and Lane and I classified and took a walk around the grounds snapping pictures. The first photo I took to start the ball roiling was of Bob Keever on post 1 on field 2 shooting handicap. I believe I took close to 400 pictures at this shoot.

I shot a couple of practices rounds on old field 1 and it was pretty hot and humid. I got packed up and headed to the Hickory Tavern to consume my yearly dish of shrimp and grits. Last year I ate dinner with Dave and June and the tailgunner and we all ate well. Not sure what JC had but it was fish I am almost sure. I plugged the motel into the GPS and headed to the Baymont in Duncan SC. I got to see a different part of South Carolina on my way to Duncan and found a few new areas to explore the next time down.

The motel was ok and off the road and all in all I had a good experience at this location and wouldn’t you know it? It was about two blocks away from a Cracker Barrel one of the tailgunners favorite places to eat. Friday the crowd started rolling in and the tent city on the ridge started to take shape. Wouldn’t you know it we were camped by some great folks but the cigarettes and the cigars stunk but helped keep the bugs away.

I shot caps on bank 1 fields 1 and 2 and averaged 20 per field……Singles I drew bank 4 and got to experience 7&8 and field 8 brought back a ton of memories. Weather was absolutely great all 4 days that I was at the shoot and you could not have asked for better. I got packed up and noticed that Marty Hill, Greg High and George were heading out. They said they were going to eat at the Lighthouse restaurant and I decided to join them.

I think everybody was hungry and between hushpuppies and the owner bringing two plates of samples I think we were all full before the meal got there. My food was good and the last time I ate there JC wasn’t too impressed so we avoided the place for many years. All in all it was fun being with Marty and Greg and George and hopefully we can do it again in the future. Marty was very generous in picking up the tab and a big thanks again Marty if you read this.

This was my second night at the motel and I slept pretty good and when I went to get some coffee there were some fellows that were visiting from Canada. I believe they were called the RCGuys and had a company that provided technology to fly airplanes and blimps. Between the golf and Nascar racing in Charlotte there was a huge 1/25 scale and bigger fly-in for RC modelers from around the country and beyond.

Saturday was upon us and it meant that Chris Shoulars would arrive and Jeff Galloway. When I got to the club Chris was there with his girlfriend and Jeff was on his way. I checked to see who was signed up to shoot singles with us and lo and behold Shawn Speakman was on 4 and Lady 1 shooter Regan Armburst was on post 5. The tailgunner’s post had been replaced with a young lady wearing cowboys boots and shorts.

Our squad drew bank three and shot traps 5&6. I had a rough first round but settled in on the second trap. Chris, Jeff and Shawn hung Regan and me on one trap and only two birds were missed out of that 125 bird round. I asked Jeff why they hung elderly folks and ladies? The second 100 we drew bank 1 and we got to shoot trap 1&2. Luckily I couldn’t smell the fish on that 2nd 100 shooting in front of the clubhouse and that was a good thing. Regan politely shook hands with all the folks on the squad and she is one heck of a shot.

Fish fry was great as usual and I got a bunch of pictures and of course the annual picture of my plate. It looked like folks were super hungry and really enjoyed the vittles. A bunch of added money was made available this year and folks won some good chunks of change in the handicap format shootoffs. Regan won 500 bucks one night and James Ivey won 500 Saturday night if I am not mistaken.

We headed back to the motel and thought I would find the race on TV but that didn’t work out too good. Lane Murray drove all the way from Charleston SC to Spartanburg and was plum tuckered out. The lights went out at 11 and Sunday was here.

Lane and I visited the Cracker Barrel that was only about 1000 yards away from the motel. JC sure would have appreciated the close proximity of one of his favorite eating places. The breakfast was good and it was time to head to the club. Hunter Galloway had arrived from the Missouri State Shoot late Saturday night and he arrived at the complex and greeted me with the Joe Nimer handshake.

We were shooting in a late doubles squad and we picked up Preston Lunn as our tailgunner. I managed to draw bank 2 fileds 3&4 and the weather was perfect. I broke a 42 and Jeff wound up with a 47. We headed to the next trap and somehow somebody picked up the score sheet. By the time we got to the line it was on. I managed to break a 47 (only shot 300 registered this season) and I was tickled with and 89. Everybody was on pins and needles and Jeff finally missed a bird for a 49 and a solid 97. In fact Preston had a 95 and Chris had a 92 that netted a win in his class in doubles.

We pulled an early handicap squad and drew bank 3 fields 5&6. Shot in a four man squad and I just never got it together for the entire 100 birds. Hunter shot well considering and if he had not declared vet his 91 might have netted him a SC prize.

That long walk up the hill is always fun because you know it is your last one until next year! I got back to the complex and prepared a sandwich before the gun cleaning and the packing up took place. Everybody had a great time and folks did win at SC.

South Carolina has always been fun for me and I always look forward to getting back every year. The club and the SCTA did a great job and the traps worked great all four days I was there. They say the food prepared by the Church group was good but I never got by to buy any of their food. The refs did a great job except for not calling lost birds on several squads that I was on. I mentioned it to the staff manager and he appreciated the feedback.

The association gave out 100th Anniversary shooting towels for the event and they were great! All in all I enjoyed myself and hope to be back in 2016 Lord willing.
smokem

Re: May 18th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

It took a little while to get out of Greensboro on Thursday but I was finally heading to the 100th Annual South Carolina State Trapshoot in Spartanburg South Carolina. I wasn’t in a hurry and since I started hauling JC to SC when he returned to shooting in 2004 It was my first trip solo in many years.

I did stop by the visitors stop at the South Carolina border to pick up a map and write in the travelers log book in the center. JC always liked to get a new map every time we traveled across state lines. I made it to SGC about noon and the handicap was about to crank up. Being the first to arrive with Dave Daily on a cruise, JBird gone on to that trapfield in the sky and the Galloways and Chris shoulars arriving Saturday and Sunday I had the complex to myself.

This was just going to be a take it easy day and I would start shooting Friday. I went to the clubhouse and got Jeff, Hunter and Lane and I classified and took a walk around the grounds snapping pictures. The first photo I took to start the ball roiling was of Bob Keever on post 1 on field 2 shooting handicap. I believe I took close to 400 pictures at this shoot.

I shot a couple of practices rounds on old field 1 and it was pretty hot and humid. I got packed up and headed to the Hickory Tavern to consume my yearly dish of shrimp and grits. Last year I ate dinner with Dave and June and the tailgunner and we all ate well. Not sure what JC had but it was fish I am almost sure. I plugged the motel into the GPS and headed to the Baymont in Duncan SC. I got to see a different part of South Carolina on my way to Duncan and found a few new areas to explore the next time down.

The motel was ok and off the road and all in all I had a good experience at this location and wouldn’t you know it? It was about two blocks away from a Cracker Barrel one of the tailgunners favorite places to eat. Friday the crowd started rolling in and the tent city on the ridge started to take shape. Wouldn’t you know it we were camped by some great folks but the cigarettes and the cigars stunk but helped keep the bugs away.

I shot caps on bank 1 fields 1 and 2 and averaged 20 per field……Singles I drew bank 4 and got to experience 7&8 and field 8 brought back a ton of memories. Weather was absolutely great all 4 days that I was at the shoot and you could not have asked for better. I got packed up and noticed that Marty Hill, Greg High and George were heading out. They said they were going to eat at the Lighthouse restaurant and I decided to join them.

I think everybody was hungry and between hushpuppies and the owner bringing two plates of samples I think we were all full before the meal got there. My food was good and the last time I ate there JC wasn’t too impressed so we avoided the place for many years. All in all it was fun being with Marty and Greg and George and hopefully we can do it again in the future. Marty was very generous in picking up the tab and a big thanks again Marty if you read this.

This was my second night at the motel and I slept pretty good and when I went to get some coffee there were some fellows that were visiting from Canada. I believe they were called the RCGuys and had a company that provided technology to fly airplanes and blimps. Between the golf and Nascar racing in Charlotte there was a huge 1/25 scale and bigger fly-in for RC modelers from around the country and beyond.

Saturday was upon us and it meant that Chris Shoulars would arrive and Jeff Galloway. When I got to the club Chris was there with his girlfriend and Jeff was on his way. I checked to see who was signed up to shoot singles with us and lo and behold Shawn Speakman was on 4 and Lady 1 shooter Regan Armburst was on post 5. The tailgunner’s post had been replaced with a young lady wearing cowboys boots and shorts.

Our squad drew bank three and shot traps 5&6. I had a rough first round but settled in on the second trap. Chris, Jeff and Shawn hung Regan and me on one trap and only two birds were missed out of that 125 bird round. I asked Jeff why they hung elderly folks and ladies? The second 100 we drew bank 1 and we got to shoot trap 1&2. Luckily I couldn’t smell the fish on that 2nd 100 shooting in front of the clubhouse and that was a good thing. Regan politely shook hands with all the folks on the squad and she is one heck of a shot.

Fish fry was great as usual and I got a bunch of pictures and of course the annual picture of my plate. It looked like folks were super hungry and really enjoyed the vittles. A bunch of added money was made available this year and folks won some good chunks of change in the handicap format shootoffs. Regan won 500 bucks one night and James Ivey won 500 Saturday night if I am not mistaken.

We headed back to the motel and thought I would find the race on TV but that didn’t work out too good. Lane Murray drove all the way from Charleston SC to Spartanburg and was plum tuckered out. The lights went out at 11 and Sunday was here.

Lane and I visited the Cracker Barrel that was only about 1000 yards away from the motel. JC sure would have appreciated the close proximity of one of his favorite eating places. The breakfast was good and it was time to head to the club. Hunter Galloway had arrived from the Missouri State Shoot late Saturday night and he arrived at the complex and greeted me with the Joe Nimer handshake.

We were shooting in a late doubles squad and we picked up Preston Lunn as our tailgunner. I managed to draw bank 2 fileds 3&4 and the weather was perfect. I broke a 42 and Jeff wound up with a 47. We headed to the next trap and somehow somebody picked up the score sheet. By the time we got to the line it was on. I managed to break a 47 (only shot 300 registered this season) and I was tickled with and 89. Everybody was on pins and needles and Jeff finally missed a bird for a 49 and a solid 97. In fact Preston had a 95 and Chris had a 92 that netted a win in his class in doubles.

We pulled an early handicap squad and drew bank 3 fields 5&6. Shot in a four man squad and I just never got it together for the entire 100 birds. Hunter shot well considering and if he had not declared vet his 91 might have netted him a SC prize.

That long walk up the hill is always fun because you know it is your last one until next year! I got back to the complex and prepared a sandwich before the gun cleaning and the packing up took place. Everybody had a great time and folks did win at SC.

South Carolina has always been fun for me and I always look forward to getting back every year. The club and the SCTA did a great job and the traps worked great all four days I was there. They say the food prepared by the Church group was good but I never got by to buy any of their food. The refs did a great job except for not calling lost birds on several squads that I was on. I mentioned it to the staff manager and he appreciated the feedback.

The association gave out 100th Anniversary shooting towels for the event and they were great! All in all I enjoyed myself and hope to be back in 2016 Lord willing.