2010 Southern Grand - Photos (Jim and Addison Callan)

Post Your Pix Or Talk About Your Travels
jcallan

2010 Southern Grand - Photos (Jim and Addison Callan)

Post by jcallan »

The 2010 Southern Grand was our largest shoot ever. Hundreds of shooters were in attendance. Some were from North Carolina. Addison and I met up with several familiar Junior and Sub Junior shooters that we have met in the past. To give you some highlights of the shoot, I have included some of our photos. Unfortunately, since I shoot every event with Addison these days many of the shots are of folks we do not know well. Perhaps you will see someone you know on the line.

The shot below is from the first preliminary day's handicap shoot-off. Addison was shooting short yardage against his buddy Sub Junior from Kentucky, Jackson Eubanks, who was shooting mid yardage (Addison squaded last year at the Dixie Grand with Jackson, his older brother, father and uncle). Addison won this shoot off 22/17.

The next two shots are action shots from the same shoot off.

For a copy of the scores and winners, go to

The singles championship was exciting. Most of the youth shooters sat together keeping their eyes glued to the leader boards. The next shot was when Addison was in the lead (it lasted but an hour, as it takes really high scores to win the Grands).

The next shot showed early Sub Junior leaders. Addison and I met Jake Peretin at the VA State shoot last year. Because Jake shot off for place at the VA State shoot, Addison took Sub Junior in the Old Dominion championship. Elizabeth Burks was often seen on early leader boards but none of the other Sub Juniors could recall meeting her. Perhaps we can make her acquaintance at another shoot.

The Silver Dollar is one of our favorite clubs and offers much more to do than shooting. Addison made it his mission to catch a fish...any fish...during our stay. The nest shot shows Addison fishing from Bob McKinney's dock with Bob and Robert Griffiths fishing from their dock in the background. All of the Griffiths were particularly friendly and helpful to us both during our stay at the Grand.

Addison had to keep mom and siblings informed of the leader board (from the fishing dock).

Sometimes, the fishing ran late...

What follows are a few miscellaneous shots from both sides of the Silver Dollar taken during the 2010 Southern Grand. These first two are from the golf side.

This next is a doubles action shot off post one.

Addison developed a nervous wait with arms inside the vest. No it was not cold that day. One of the best investments I made for the shoot was the gun caddie, shown beside him.

As I mentioned, most of the youth shooters hung out together at the club house. Here Addison and Preston Crandell (a Junior from IL) are discussing which gun is preferred. Preston shoots a Caesar and Addison an SKB. Preston, a AA shooter, was later in a shoot off with Leo Harrison for the Event #7 Singles title.

Addison and I had a nice time with Emanuel (Nate) Boyer (Sub Junior) and his folks at the sponge docks. The photo below shows Nate at the score board. A local shooter from Tarpon Springs, Nate has many friends at the Sliver Dollar.

Addison and I ate lunch with this young Sub Junior champion from AR, Daniel Grubbs. Here he is in deep contemplation.

The following are a few miscellaneous shots from the Gun Club side of the Silver Dollar.

Massages were available for the weary.

Addison, after scoring his 97, was rewarded with his first chair massage.

Massage or not, most days were nearly 12 hours long before we got back to the hotel. We were beat...

Vendor row at the Southern Grand was nice. A stroll down the row could find you jewelry, glasses, ear plus, gunsmithing, shirts, vests, leather items and, of course, guns and stocks. A friend of ours from VA picked up a nice new Parrazzi for a song.

We even saw a booth for US Shooting demoing some of the training tools used by Olympians.

Thousands upon thousands of shells were ejected at the 2010 Southern Grand. It was a constant job to keep up with the hulls.

The following are a few action shots from Junior shooters.

Terry Roush (our NC ATA delegate) and his lovely bride could be seen at the Southern Grand.

Ice Cream was served daily as a fund raiser for the Paralyzed Veterans and to help sponsor PVA shoots.

Overall, Addison and I really enjoyed the 2010 Southern Grand. He just could not keep the smiles off.

For a copy of the scores and winners, go to http://www.rjstuart.com/Trophies/2010/sgrand.htm