Dennis Prager - HS Principal

You And Your Gun Rights & Other Important Stuff
smokem

Dennis Prager - HS Principal

Post by smokem »

Dennis Prager of Colorado , along with Sara Palin and Tom Brokaw on TV acouple of weeks ago....what a dynamic, down to earth speaker. Even thoughPalin and Brokaw were also guest speakers they did little but nod and agreewith him. A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give. By Dennis Prager.To the students and faculty of our high school:I am your new principal, and honored to be so. There is no greater callingthan to teach young people.I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school.I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas thathave dominated public education in America have worked against you, againstyour teachers and against our country.

First, this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity . I could not careless if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I couldnot care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian orEuropean, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slaveships. The only identity I care about, the only one this school willrecognize , is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship,your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about isAmerican.This is an American public school, and American public schools were createdto make better Americans. If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial orreligious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We willend all ethnicity , race and non-American nationality-based celebrations.They undermine the motto of America , one of its three central values -- epluribus Unum , "from many, one." And this school will be guided by America's values. This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubsthat divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language,religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in asociety divided by political correctness.Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic,racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivatenarcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purposeof education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubsthat transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy,languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the onlyextracurricular activities you can imagine being interested in are thosebased on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outsideof yourself really interests you.

Second, I am uninterested in whether English is your native language. Myonly interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speakingand writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has unitedAmerica 's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school.It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has alwayscome to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellentEnglish language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that youwill be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We willlearn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans onlyspeak English --but if you want classes taught in your native languagerather than in English, this is not your school.

Third, because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor , everything in thisschool will reflect learning 's elevated status. This means, among otherthings, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people inour society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church orschool. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there willbe a formal dress code at this school.

Fourth, no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school 'sproperty -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If youcan't speak without using the f -word, you can't speak. By obscene languageI mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plusepithets such as " Nigger ," even when used by one black student to addressanother black, or "bitch," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. Itis my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among thefew your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and thedegraded, the holy and the obscene.

Fifth, we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteemwill be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decidedotherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence isthat there will be one valedictorian, not eight.

Sixth, and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away frompolitics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to scaring you aboutsmoking and caffeine , or terrifying you about sexual harassment or globalwarming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teachingyou to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue... Therewill be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because youare not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We willhave failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not considerhim or herself inordinately fortunate -- to be alive and to be an American.

Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of ourcountry. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand themout to you.