Buckhorn Christmas Party 12/18/2016

Post shoot results!
straightaway

Buckhorn Christmas Party 12/18/2016

Post by straightaway »

The faithful gathered today at Buckhorn to celebrate the upcoming Christmas Holiday and enjoy great fellowship and .......food.

And I mean food!

There were casseroles and cupcakes and ice cream and ham and turkey and salads and pies and cakes and weenies in blankets and candy and roast beast and brownies and cookies and..........the list goes on. It was to say the least, a royal feast.

There were children (of all ages). Everyone engaged in animated conversations that I swear if you watch some of them, if they had feathers on their arms they'd fly, or, put their hands in their pockets they couldn't talk a lick.

A couple of shooting events were staged. John Miller and I led President Hill out to trap 2 for a little follow the leader. The first round started leaning on the back of the trap house with John and I both rolling that target into a ball of smoke, and Marty missed it. Now, this wasn't for anything but fun, so the way we play it you have to stand at the chosen spot and shoot until you break it, so Marty tried again and managed to crack one in half. This was pretty much the way it went as we worked our way to post four on trap 1 still shooting targets out of trap 2. The way it works is the one who gets the farthest and has bullets left gets bragging rights for the year. I own the right side.....

Round two started, this time with John leading off. Again, Mr. Miller and I just hammered that target and Marty............missed again. At this point the porch crowd got involved with Brad making sure that Marty could not get a reduction that far forward so it was ok if he broke a target. Well, he shot again and the peanut gallery claimed they saw a chip soooooo we let him move on. John decided to move left and we ended up on the 24 yard line on post four on field 3. That's where we ran into a wall with John claiming the left side honors until next year.

Now, for the "Big Event", the Buckhorn World Skeet Shooting Christmas Championships. This single event is probably the most anticipated sporting attraction in the Mebane area all year. There were spectators lined up wall to wall, some drove down and sat in their vehicles just to watch, others gathered under the shelter while the hardy group of shooters put their immeasurable skills on display in monsoon winds, declining temperatures and sheets of driving rain.

Now, the main obstacle was that Mr. Hill thinks he's some kind of skeet shooting rules/regulations police. He wasn't aware that this event is shot with "modified rules", i.e. the idea is to break the target. Period, no matter how many times you have to shoot at it. Period again! He was trying to call foot faults and lost targets for shooting at singles twice (hey we had over/unders and semis, you can put more than one bullet in at a time...). He even tried to disqualify me, ME, for shooting high house 8 while facing the low house and low house 8 while facing the high house. sheesh. When the mud puddles calmed the results were that Cupcake Karole was high lady with a 23, Richard Drake was high vet with a 23, Charlie Brown was high senior vet with a 23 and I managed sub vet with a 23.

James and John locked in a heated battle to just break one target per station. Now, this is where Marty really kicked it in, he was squalling about John taking 100 bullets to the line to shoot 25 targets, and I believe he used them all. Jimmy managed to run out of ammo after completing post 7. So, on the surface it would appear that he forfeited to John, However, I believe they tied with 8 broken targets apiece.

So, there it is. No crying, no whining and no more pink tutus Mr. Emory.......

The Buckhorn crew wishes each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Please travel safely and remember what this Holiday Season is truly about.

See you next time wherever it is! Dan

Jimmy "Skeeter" Wilson stinking it up so bad even Charlie Brown can smell it....Lost - Lost - Lost - Lost