Morris Carroll Celebration of Life 1/18/2020

Post shoot results!
straightaway

Morris Carroll Celebration of Life 1/18/2020

Post by straightaway »

The Family, the Faithful, and a few others gathered at Buckhorn Gun Club today 1/18/2020 to celebrate the life of our dear friend Morris Carroll who passed away January 12th.

Morris's wife Beth and daughter Reanea told us that Morris did not want a formal ceremony as would be typical of him. So we had a pot luck meal that included many of Morris's favorite things to eat. There was what can only be described as a formidable amount of main course food along with desserts enough to raise your sugar level just by smelling them. A "Reserved" sign was placed at Morris's favorite seat at the table along with some of his favored goodies. All agreed that Morris would have been satisfied.

Daughter Reanea (I believe that is how she spells it) performed the eulogy. It was truly a moving event that touched everyone present. We were given insight into the private side of Morris that was rarely seen by anyone outside of his immediate family. She told us of the highlights of his 41 years with Duke, his affinity for Burger King (and theirs for him) and other "stories" that had Beth declaring that "she's telling it all!"

We were given insight into the bond between Morris and wife Beth that exceeded 50 years. Reanea shared stories of life growing up with Morris and his love of home and family that kept him in the Durham area with little desire to roam out of his "home turf". We heard of a few times when he did travel some, like a trip to the Grand in Vandalia and to Florida with wife and kids. That one was particularly entertaining as when they went to Florida they did it in an El Camino with Morris and Beth in the front and the young uns in the back. Imagine that......

Morris's family endorsed a shooting event in Morris's honor. We had 27 shooters toe the line for 50 singles. In my opinion, it was only appropriate that Mr. Wilson took high gun with the only 50 straight. I know Morris would have been proud.

In the spirit of things, the goon squad that shot together of Lead Off James Wilson, post 2 Karole Miller, post 3 Dan Johnson, post 4 Darvin Cornett with John Miller starting on post 5. I told Mr. Wilson of my intent to "Morris Carroll" Karole at some point during the round. He suggested to do it on the very first target out soooooooooo, as soon as Jim shot the 1st target, I mounted and called (had to call twice) and promptly took Karole's turn for her. It was game on after that with all of us eventually having someone take a turn for us when they perceived we could be caught unawares. It was a ball.

For those of you not in the know, Morris would give the shooter preceding him what he thought was an adequate amount of time to take their turn. If they failed to shoot inside of that time frame, Morris had no problem taking your turn for you. In fairness, Morris didn't hear well, then you put plugs in his ears and well, you can see how things can happen.

The breakdown for the event turned out this way

Champion - Jim Wilson
Runner Up - Dan Johnson 48(shoot of with John Miller, Greg High, Ike Branthwaite, Chris Powell)
AA - John Miller 48
AA RU- Darvin Cornett 35
A- Ike Branthwaite 48
A RU- Winky Mabe
B- Chris Powell 48
B RU- Chuck Woody 44
C- Josh Brafford 44
C RU- Eric Sherer 39
D- Colton Frietas 44
D RU- Manny Ramirez 33
Lady- Karole Miller 44
Lady RU- Donna Cornett 41
Sr Vet- Greg High 48
Sr Vet RU- Richard Drake 47
Junior- Ean Wagoner 45
Jr RU- Cooper Pennington 42
Sub Jr- Gabriel 30

Morris had a fondness for $100 dollar bills. A couple of them appeared, then keeping in the theme of the event, ALL winnings were donated back. This came to a substantial total of $500.

This money will be awarded in Morris Carroll's name to the High Junior and High Sub Junior resident shooters at this year's Handicap Championship at the State Shoot.

I feel honored to have been able to "experience Morris Carroll". I, as did many others, counted him as a friend and spent many pleasurable hours around him. His was a character that was unique unto him as is suitable. We are diminished with Morris's passing and he will not be forgotten.

RIP friend Morris, RIP