What is going on at your club?
smokem

Computer Classification

Post by smokem »

Subject: Classifiers and COMPUTERS!
Email:
Date: Mon, Feb 16, 2009 - 05:58 AM ET
Website Address:

I almost agree with slide action. A computer should not classify shooters. The information in the computer along with the information on the card should be used, along with some judgment, to classify shooters.

I will help classify at a larger shoot in a couple of weeks. The computers will loaded with current information from the AT computer. For around 90% of the shooters, the information in the computer will be adequate for correct classification. For around 10% of the shooters, I will pull up their history on the computer, look at the card and do my very best to be fair to the shooter I am classifying and the other shooters. The line between class A and AA is 96.25. One shooter with a 96.20 and several 100 straights and a three year history of AA scores will end up in AA. Another shooter with the same average, no 100 straights and a three year history of class A scores will probably end up in class A. I always talk with the shooter and ask him what he believes is fair when making these judgments. We will also have a short list of shooter names with a peculiar shooting history. They will be classified with great care.

About 15 times I will find a shooter with a yardage on his card that is different than the yardage in the computer. I will pull up his history and often find that he was granted a reduction that he did not know about. He will have the option of accepting or refusing the reduction at the table, with approval from a member of the CHC who will be sitting at the computer next to me. If he was given the reduction some time ago and he has shot many targets at his old yardage, that is de facto evidence that he has refused the reduction.

All shooters should be aware that proper classification is their responsibility. If I make a mistake and classify Phil K. as a Sub Jr/Lady, the mistake is his problem. The classification of anyone who wins, ties or even shoots a high score in any event is reviewed early the next morning. A list of the top 5 scores in every class and category for every event is at the classification table. The system is not perfect, but overall, it works well.

Pat Ireland

From Trapshooters.com
widowmaker

RE: Computer Classification

Post by widowmaker »

In my very short time of shooting I can honestly say that I have always been classified fairly. I think all the people that do it are friendly and have always asked me if I thought I was classified correctly. Most times I have wanted to be higher then my average supports and have been told so at the window. Thanks for all the hard work you do at the shoots.