November 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

November 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great weather weekend in the TarHeel State with shoots at LCP, Gastonia and Buckhorn. I have shoot reports from the LCP BIG50, Toys For Tots and also Gastonia. Three events this week with the LCP BIG50 Wednesday and LCP and Ft. Bragg shooting Saturday.

I have the LCP shoot report written by Pat Childers so here goes: We had seven shooters this week for the Big 50. Another good showing. We have had a couple of hiccups with the trap machine the last two weeks and we ask for your patience as we work through these issues. Bill Martin will stay with us the next three weeks regardless of the number of shooters to minimize downtime in case we have another malfunction. FYI, the two issues were a low battery last week due to a lack of sunshine and debris on the blade of the machine this week which was causing targets to break. Both issues have been corrected and with Bill on hand we should not have any more extended downtimes during the event. On the plus side, all of the speakers have been working with no issues the last two weeks. Thank you again for your patience and understanding.Pat Childers took top gun honors this week with a 47. Harold Smith was second with a 43. Third place was a 42 shot by Mike Petrone. Chuck Helms was next with a 37. Charlie Bertrand finished out the scoring with a 25. Wayne Averill and Terry Lewis did not finish due to the extended down time until the machine was repaired.

Buckhorn held their annual Toys For Tots shoot Sunday and thanks to Dan Johnson I have the winners to report. Watauga shooter David Miller won the singles with a 99, doubles with a 94 and the HOA with a 283x300. Morg reported that David shot Gastonia Saturday and won the singles with a 95, his yardage in caps, doubles with a 90 and HOA.....Great shooting David! That left Morg winning the caps with a 95 and a 1/2 yard punch back to the 26 yard line. As usual they had a great lunch and Dan mentioned some porch sitters today and not sure who that might have been? Buckhorn shoots next on the 6th of December so please make an effort to attend.

As mentioned above there are three events this week with LCP shooting their BIG50 Wednesday, and hosting a typical 300 target program Saturday on one trap. Ft. Bragg hosts their annual Thanksgiving Turkey shoot Saturday with a typical 300 target program. Look for the program to be posted sometime today.

Steve Watson took ahold of some new over/under barrels for his Caesar Guerini and shot them Sunday. Not sure how that all went and I really wanted to tell him to shoot the Browning and play with them tubes later but never made the call.....but what do I know anyway - right?

Not sure how bad Pitts beat Shelley today and that is always a good head to head matchup. Now that both of them are retired I would imagine their scores will go up now that the working pressure is off. Newsflash......Shelley beat Pitts two out of three events and in the 300 target total......

I called my friend Bob Batke in Ohio the other day. He is doing well and went out and bought some target shells in anticipation of getting back to shooting. Bob shot in SC/NC and the NCHOF and really enjoyed the Sotuhern hospitality while he was here. He has some type of inner ear issue that messses with his balance that really doesnt work too well while shooting.

South Carolina resident Dave Daily is getting ready to hit the Holiday trail and was considering attending the Ft. Bragg shoot but is leaving for Indiana Monday. He is on the road traveling 2 weeks every month for work and is hopefully soon to retire.

Well.....the 22nd of November I fully qualify for retirement and have yet to submit the paperwork to pull the plug. It is tough working and then thinking about not working for the same place or maybe in the same occupation but there are decisions....decisions. I know Tom Pitts and Tom Shelley are glad they did it and hopefully I will also.

That is about it for this week and I hope everybody is getting ready for a great Thanksgiving. With all of the craziness going on aroound the world it might be a little hard to focus on the upcoming holiday. Hello to Hap.....Scott.......Lou and Chase and until next week...........................Smokem