December 14th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

December 14th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and it tis the season to be jolly. Great weather in North Carolina and who could believe such warm temps for the TarHeel State. Two shoots this week with LCP hosting their weekly BIG50 and Ft. Bragg hosting their last registered shoot.

I have the info from LCP and thanks to Pat Childers for the weekly info. That reminds me that I need to redo his account for this site. The following info is from Pat's weekly newsletter. Another week with good conditions some good shooting. We had eight shooters this week for the Big 50. The targets looked good and Harold Smith blasted a 48 to take Top Gun for the week. Wayne Averill was second with a 44. Charlie Bertrand, Terry Lewis, Mike Ciccolella, Mike Petrone, Pat Childers and Heyward Lowry also participated. Thanks to all and hope to see you all next week.

Ft. Bragg shot Saturday and brings an end to a great run for trapshooters that enjoyed this facility. I have a ton of photos that I took while shooting at Ft. Bragg and I will try to find and get all of them up with links to the slideshows. The turnout was great and shooters attended from the NC mountains to the NC coast. Randy "Boone" Jones broke a 99 in "C" class to pace all singles shooters. Jeff Abarbanell got the punch for his 93 with Steve Watson 1 bird off. James "LowLight" Wilson won the doubles with a solid 96 and Steve won the HOA with a 276 and only a "pair" ahead of James Wilson.

Marty thanked all the folks that helped run the shoot and also everyone that has ever attended an event at FBGC. Lot's of great memories shooting their with the Thanksgiving turkey dinners, Frank the manager, aircraft in the air while shooting, all orange Lawry targets, Gorgeous George Brown hand pulling shootoffs, Pattersons, Charlie Ackroyd shooting his truckbed, the red range flag flying, Tom Elbertson, Sherwood Jenkins laughing at my AL-391 after I broke a 96 in handicap.........JBird.....and the list goes on and on......good times!

One of my favorite memories was wanting to win one of the Ft. Bragg dogtags that had the winner categories on the back. Back when I was shooting much better I got to shoot doubles with Jimmy Wilson and I made the mistake of calling for two pairs before I cranked the squad up. He immediately brought this to may attention that I could only ask for one pair. I took a deep breath and commenced to breaking a 96 in doubles.

After the round was over Greg High walked up to look at the scores and commented - D**n Freddy I didn't know you could shoot doubles that good and with that I commented - I didn't know that either....Years later I dropped my keys out in the grass at Buckhorn and once I found out I was missing them I contacted Jimmy and he said that he did have a set of keys. Not sure how I identified them but he commented that there was a Ft. Bragg dogtag on it and I immediately said that is mine. He said you didn't win doubles at Ft. Bragg and of course I had to refresh his memory.......I did learn one valuable lesson and it is look at one pair in competition and two pairs in a shootoff......

I left out a club last week and I apologize and it was Old Hickory @ Rocky Mount. Not sure how I missed it and will try to do better in the near future.

Not much more going on this week and I believe LCP has their BIG50 Wednesday and their monthly shoot on the 19th. Not sure if it is on the master "State Official" calendar or not. Hello to Hap, Scott, Lou and and Chase had a birthday and until next week......................Smokem