January 18th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 18th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and a very chilly morning here in Jamestown. Saturday started out rough and then here came the sun and then Sunday started with and also cleared up. I know Karole Miller likes the snow and maybe a big old snow storm will roll in and keep her happy.

One shoot this week and it was the BIG 50 at LCP. Below is there shoot report report thanks to Pat Childers. LCP will hold their weekly BIG50 this Wednesday the 20th. We had quite a crowd this week. It took 4 squads to get all 17 shooter to the line this week. Conditions were the opposite of last week. Beautiful! Sunny, no wind and just cool temperatures.

Harold Smith took Top Gun honors this week with a 44. We had a three way tie for second with Wayne Averill, Fred Barnett and Mike Ciccolella all breaking 43. We had 9 shooters join us this week from the St. James Trapper group. Bill Boston, Larry Dudley, Rob Jerome, Nate Lipsen, George, Roberta Pappayliou and their son Steve, Fred Trulove and Rick Winterhalter all joined us from St.James. The rest of the 17 included Charley Bertrand, Pat Childers, Frank Harris and Mike Petrone.

It was great to have so many shooters this week. May have to put in another field if this attendance continues. The Big 50 is shot every Wednesday at 1 p.m. at Low Country Preserve. Anyone can participate. You do not have to be an ATA member to shoot the Big 50. It is an ATA registered shoot and ATA members can register their targets. There is an additional fee of $1.50 to register your targets in additions to the regular charge for the rounds you shoot.

Morg Shaw posted some pictures from Watauga GC and their hunter safety kids. It was snowing and it did look cold in the valley. It was neat seeing their guns in the rack and three had moleskin on the stocks. I am sure these kids are excited to smell gunpowder in any kind of weather.

I visited the www.rjstuart.com website to take a look at the winners at the Florida Hall Of Fame Shoot. Looks like we had two NC shooters in the winner column and it included Robin Dallenbach and Noah Gouge. Singles scores Saturday looked like the weather cooperated with Lee Raymond winning in-state with a 199 and Dave "Slab" Shaeffer winning open with the lone 200. Sunday the weather must have been frisky with the doubles and caps won with scores in the low 90's. I am sure more NC/VA/SC shooters will show up for the Dixie that starts in the morning.

One great thing about shooting in Florida in January is the weather. Out of the 7 days only two days will be in the 70's with Monday and Tuedsday only reaching the 50's. Friday offers 90% precip with 20mph winds and Saturday with a 59 high and 17mph winds. Sunday looks like the best day to shoot with no precip - sunny skies and minimal wind. Listening to palms trees with winds whipping through them at 20MPH is awesome.

Not much more to report and the shooting schedule in NC looks a little thin until March. I hope everybody has a great week and hello to Hap, Scott, Lou and Chase and until next week.........................Smokem.