January 25th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 25th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello from Jamestown and what a wild weather weekend for the East Coast. There are a lot of reports of snow from 3 - 30 to 66 inches on Mt. Mitchell. I did work Friday and made it around pretty good and got out a bit Sunday.

LCP holds their BIG50 this week and LCP cancelled their BIG50 last Wednesday. I have posted the newsletter from LCP and their info from their last registered event. Here goes - No Big 50 this week. The weather dampened our enthusiasm. Will report on last Saturday’s monthly 100 bird registered trap shoot at Low Country. Conditions were good and so were the targets. The shooting however ran hot and cold. Pat Childers finished with the high score for the day with an 85. Harold Smith was only three targets back with an 82. Wayne Averill, Frank Harris and Tim Howard also competed to round out the squad of 5 shooters. Mike Petrone scored for us and did a fine job.The next monthly shoot will be held on February 20th starting at 10 a.m.

Big week in Florida trapshooting with the Dixie Grand in town. Lots of great shooters are competing for the first big shoot of 2016. I have been following the scores and the weather and some of our NC/SC/VA/GA friends have made it to the winner column.

On Monday in the singles VA shooter Clay Floyd won AAA RU and NC Junior All American Noah Gouge took Junior. Prelim caps on Monday VA shooter Trey Wilburn took 4th and Noah won Junior RU. In dubs Clay won AAA with Trey RU AAA and Noah winning Junior RU.

Tuesday singles Trey took AAA RU and Noah Junior. Caps VA shooter Lawrence Bell was RU and VA shooter Elwood Whitman took 4th. Dubs VA shooter Barry Wood took B RU, GA shooter Billy Griffin won D and Noah Gouge won Junior with a 96.

Wednesday singles Noah took Junior with a 99, TN shooter Tommy Freeman won the caps with the lone 98, and Noah won dubs Junior with a 94.

Thursday started off with the Jeff Conley handicap and Marty Hill won SubVet RU with a 94, Caps found SC shooter Gary Olson the Class B winner in the doubles class championship with Noah winning Junior.

Friday started with the Caesar Guerini Caps with Clay taking 3rd and Dennis Taylor taking 5th with Marty Hill taking SubVet with a solid 96. Doubles Championship Clay took RU, GA shooter Preston Lunn took A RU with Dennis Taylor winning C and Gary Olson winning SubVet RU.

This was written on Saturday afternoon and the Singles Championship is about over with 75 squads reporting to the line. Scores are down due to high winds and a tremendous headwind. Morg Shaw reported that one of Noahs targets that he missed landed in front of him and just not sure how close to his feet. The top reported score from AAA includes Tank Lunsford and Harlan Campbell with 193's.

Well Clay Floyd and Mitch Loveless knotted up for high gun and Clay won the shootoff after they both posted GA shooter Preston Lunn won Junior Gold RU with a 190. Vet Dennis Kennedy broke the lone 99 from the 19.5 and he lives in Homosassa Florida. South Carolina shooter Wayne Franz won the SrVet title with a 94 and he lives in Summerville South Carolina.

All that leaves is the HAA and the HOA and it was Harlan Campbell and Clay Floyd placing 1 - 2 in both events. SC shooter Gary Olson won C HAA and good shooting Gary. I noticed that George Brown showed up along with his sidekick William West. 38 shooters from NC/SC/VA/GA attended and some made it back with a trophy from the Dixie.

The weather was crazy in FLorida and at 9AM Sunday morning it was only 46 degrees. I would imagine we will here some stories form the Dixie and please email me if you have any info.

There were 15 events and only 6 had an increase over the 2015 attendance. It all averaged out with only 58 less entries than 2015. From what I hear everybody had a great time and I heard that Terry Roush got to try out his new K-Gun that was presented to him by the ATA.

I did chat a bit with George via facebook. He is healing from eye surgery and is on the mend. Chip and his wife have bought a house and are moving off Ocracoke Island with Chip teaching full time. I know george is wanting to get out and get back to shooting like we all know he can....

Ok that is about it and I want to say hello to Hap, Scott, Lou and Chase and until next week............................Smokem