February 1st Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 1st Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

What a difference a week makes and can you believe the 60 degree weather Sunday. I am sure folks that could got out and shot some practice at their local club. It is only February so don't get too excited about these warm temperatures.

One shoot last week and here is the LCP BIG50 shoot report......We had eight shooters for the big 50 this week. Conditions were great. Sunny, little wind and temps in the 60’s. Doesn’t get much better than that. Pat Childers and Mike Petrone tied for Top Gun this week with each breaking 42 targets. Mike Ciccolella was next with a 41 and Harold Smith broke 38. Charley Bertrand, Frank Harris, Fred Truelove, and Ned Marlowe also participated. It was good to see Ned again after a long absence. Ned hopes to join us more often now that hunting season is over.

We tried Green, Pink and Orange targets this week and the consensus was the Pink were the most visible but orange was a very close second. We decided to stay with the orange trap/skeet White Flyer targets since that is the color/brand thrown at all trap tournaments. We did not see any real visible advantage with the pink targets. The club has purchased 10 additional speakers and spare cables for the Canterbury Voice Release system and they will be available for exchange during shoots if a speaker stops working. We also worked on the control box all the speakers plug into and corrected a problem that was causing the #4 speaker to malfunction during the shoot this week. Hopefully we have eliminated any issues with the voice release system and now know how to fix it if and when something does crop up. The next Big 50 will be shot Wednesday February 3rd at 1 p.m.

I got a flyer from Coharie Friday and Mac is wanting folks to come down and shoot in Clinton. Heck I might even make it down there to shoot in the sandhills. I have discussed it with Wayne "Champ" Banks and he is thinking about riding down in March. Mac has two traps and uses the ERAD voice releases. Mac and his wife prepare a great lunch for all who attend so please take a ride down to CSL this year.

John Domas sent me his shoot schedule for Lynchburg in case you want to slip North to shoot in Virginia. Dates are 2/6 - 3/5 - 4/2 - 5/7 - 5/30 Memorial Day - 6/11 - 7/9 & 7/30 - 9/5 Labor Day - 10/1 - 11/5 - 12/1 - They also shoot BIG50's on the 3rd Tuesday of each month. We rode up there several years ago and shot when Charlie Rinehart was alive and had a great time. It is a beautiful club and they really make you feel welcome.

I might have mentioned this but Charlie Keiger's daughter Elizabeth Keiger Ryan gave birth to a little baby girl named Millie. I have had the pleasure of seeing pictures of the beautiful child and best wishes to the family. Elizabeth used to shoot trap years ago and her dad still shows up once and awhile with his running buddy Crews Walden.

I wish I had a lot more to discuss but news is a little slim this time of year. I will try to dig up a little more info for next weeks report. Hello to Lou, Hap, Scott and Chase and until next week........................Smokem...