March 14th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 14th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Bob Keever At The Southern Grand 2016 - Photo By Jeff Galloway

Great week behind us and a whole lot of shoot info to report. I have shoot reports from last weeks Old Hickory shoot, LCP BIG50, Buckhorn and the Southern Grand. As far as I know all locations had great weather for shooting and that is a plus.

Old Hickory shot the 6th and they had a good turnout with 14/8/4 shooting the program. Charlie Brown wont the singles, Brandon Matthew won the caps and HOA and Dan Johnson won the doubles. The club registered three new ATA members and that is great. Mark your calendar now for May 15th when Old Hickory shoots again.

The following info is from the LCP newsletter regarding the LCP BIG50 shoot. --- Good attendance this week. We had a total of 10 shooters competing for Top Gun honors this Wednesday at the LCP Big 50. Pat Childers was top gun this week with a 46. Harold Smith was runner up taking out 43 targets. Third place was a tie with Rich Long and Mike Petrone both breaking 41. Paul Miraglia finished out the 40’s with a 40. Fred Barnett, Mike Anselmo, Frank Harris, Larry Dudley and Rich Savitsky also competed this week. We had a few issues with the trap machine oscillation but a new part to fix that problem was delivered Thursday and we will not have to deal with that issue again. Also tweaking the machine to minimize it throwing broken targets. Everyone agreed the adjustments made last week to fine tune the field boundaries left and right for the targets was right on. The field was narrowed slightly to the ATA field guidelines which are 17 degrees to the left and right of center.

Buckhorn shot Sunday and had a great turnout with 23/19/12. Mr. Perfect (you thought I was going to say Jimmy Wilson) Dan Johnson won the singles with a 100 straight. Chris Powell won the caps with a 96 and Junior shooter Brandon Matthews had a 98 for a full yard punch. Walter Mabe won the doubles after a 4 way flip (Johnson was pressured by management into flipping) with three other 95's. Walter also won the HOA with a solid 286. Buckhorn shoots next April 10th.

I have been busy and the week was a big whirlwind considering I submitted my letter to retire after 25 years with Guilford County. My last day is March 31st and I have mixed emotions about leaving but I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life. I did spend a bit of time looking at the scoreboard for the Southern Grand but very little.

I got bits and pieces of info regarding the SoGrand but one thing was certain....the wind blew everyday and not a drop of rain fell. The temps were warm and you cant beat that considering it was warm in NC also. Here is a quick rundown of NC winners starting with Monday and the Prelim Singles - Jeff Galloway won AA with a 99 and Noah Gouge won the JR with a 97. Monday Prelim Doubles Noah took JR RU with a 95. Tuesday in the Harlan Campbell Singles Steve Watson won AA RU with a 99. Tuesday's Prelim Handicap Noah Gouge won JR with a 92. Wednesday produced no NC winners in 16's or caps but Noah Gouge won JR RU Doubles with a 93.

Thursday at the Southern Grand in the Preston B. Lunn handicap Marty Hill placed 9th with a solid 94. In the Doubles Class Championship Noah Gouge won Junior with a solid 98. Friday started out with Caesar Guerini Handicap and good old Marty Hill placed 6th with a solid 95. The Doubles Championship netted one winner and that ws none other than Noah Gouge with an impressive 99 for the JR winner. He shot in a squad with Clay Floyd (100) and Mitch Loveless (99). That was one hot squad right there.....

That takes us into the Championship weekend with Maryland shooter Dave Shaeffer winning the singles with a 200 and a shootoff with Harlan Campbell. Sunday Caps found three 98's at the top and who would have guessed that red hot nuclear reactive hot as a firecracker Marty Hill was in the mix. He wound up RUNNER UP with Carl Gresley the Champ and Matt Trammell third. Marty got a 1/2 yard for Friday and 2 yards for Sunday and went from the 20.5 to the 23 in two events.

That left the HAA and the HOA with Matt Trammell winning the HAA with a 391 and Harlan Campbell winnin the HOA with a 971. Noah Gouge won the JR RU HAA with a 371 and JR HOA with a 934. Morg said that Noah has about 450+/- All American points and has stayed over with Clay Floyd to shoot the Florida State Shoot.

I did notice some VA/WVA/SC winners that included Gary Olson, Mark Isner, Doulas Damron, Elwood Whitman, Wayne Franz, Michael Burrell, Clay Floyd and if I missed anybody please forgive. From what I have heard the shoot was great and everybody had a great time. I had hoped to get some pictures and might dig a few up for next week.

Two shoots coming up this week and they are both at LCP. LCP will host there weekly BIG50 the 16th and their monthly registered shoot the 19th. LCP publishes a newsletter and announces rain dates in case the weather gets too nasty to shoot. Pat Childers does a great job and hats off to him for his efforts.

I am toying with doing a video Smoke Report to discuss the highlights of NC Trapshooting and posting the link for your viewing pleasure. It will last about a minute and could be quite entertaining. I would still do the written version in case that is the way you would like to get the info.

Please pray for a family at the Silver Dollar. A gentleman died on the line at the Southern Grand. He and his wife stayed at the Dollar and I was told their son had recently died and there daughter a few years ago. That left the mother and I pray there are some grandchildren to comfort her at this time. What a way to go though shooting trap and
doing what you love to do!

I noticed that fellow Konne-Yaut Indian Henry Siemianowski showed up to the Southern Grand and shot six events. He was the Chief when I was inducted into the Indians and his son conducted the initiation ceremony. Glad to see him South of the border and can't wait to see him at West Penn Sportsman in July.

Ok - have a great week and I will be keeping an eye on any NC shooters that will be competing at the Florida State Shoot. Hello to Hap, Scott, Lou and Chase and until next week..................Smokem

Mash on this link for the NC Shoot Schedule - http://nctrap.com/shoots2015.pdf