May 2nd Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 2nd Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

May is here and a bunch of shooting is coming up in North Carolina and South Carolina. I have a shoot report from Watauga and LCP and three shoots in North Carolina this week/end.

Doug House
Doug House Shoot 2012

The Doug House Memorial Shoot will be held at the Charlie Brown Gun Club this Saturday. Karole Miller posted the program and thanks to her for her efforts. Doug House served as the first NC ATA President and one heck of a man. As a young lad I shot with him many times and others including A.M. Pullen and Wilbur Baskerville. His sons Walter and Kirk both were former NC State Junior Champs and his daughter Elizabeth also shot.

Rockingham GC Trap 1

The Rockingham Gun Club will shoot this Saturday with a typical 300 target program. Registration starts at 9 and competition begins at 10. Please come join us and I know you will have a great time shooting at the Rock. NOTE: Due to Mothers Day on Sunday the BIG50 funshoot has been cancelled.......

LCP will host their BIG50 this Wednesday and same bat time same bat channel. They shoot almost every week and have a monthly registered shoot. Pat Childers posts a newsletter and keeps up with all the scores and stats at LCP. LCP shot their BIG50 Wednesday and Bill Boston had the top score with a 44. After the event they shot Larry Dudleys hat full of holes to celebrate him breaking his first 25 at the Dogwood Open.

Watauga GC Field 1 - Photo provided by Steve Watson

Watauga shot Saturday with 20/20/18 heading to the line. Big Jon Miller won the singles with a 99, Ben Campbell got a 1/2 yard punch for his 94 and Steve "BIG DOG" Watson won the doubles with a 91 and HOA with a 281. Emma Ward won JR with a 95 and that is some great shooting young lady.

Got a little feedback from Georgia and the weather held out until later Saturday afternoon for the singles. Jeff Galloway broke a 99 in the morning and posted a 97 before the rain came. He won his shootoff by forfeit because the fellow was drinking a beer. Jeff showed up Sunday to be advised that he had in fact lost the shootoff due to a forfeit. It seems that there was another 196 that had not reported when Jeff did and what a cluster. It came down to a flip that Jeff said no flipping lets shoot it and the fellow said let him have it. It all worked out in the end and that is great for a AA Singles win. Hunter broke a 96 Sunday going 25-25-23-23 and got himself punched to the 20. He wound up shooting by himself due to being squadded beside a 22 yard shooter.....not going to work. Greg High evidently won his doubles class shootoff and I dont have any details. All in all the shoot was well attended but attendace was down over 2015. I am sure Dave Hollingsworth will be at South Carolina with bells on after having to run the Georgia State Shoot.

Chuck and his wife on the left - Kevin and his mom on the right at the Ruffsdale PA Gun Club

Chuck Dallmus (formerly from PA now living in GA) called me Friday and wanted to know why I wasn't at the GA State Shoot. I was inducted into the Konne-Yaut Indians with his brother Kevin 7 years ago. I believe he will be at the South Carolina State shoot and it will be great to see him in Spartanburg.

I got a call from Steve Karas last week and he is moving back to NC from Arizona. Steve was one heck of a shot and had a stroke that pretty much ended his ability to shoot. I will be bringing him to the shoots at the Rock when he gets back home. Ray Shisler is moving to Georgia and selling all of his trap stuff. He has 12pound jugs of 700X that he wants to sell and other items including shot for $35 a bag.

100th Annual South Carolina State Shoot 2015

The South Carolina State Shoot is just around the corner and I am hoping it will be well attended. We are riding down Friday to install our shelters so look for us behind the practice trap up on the hill. I got some bad/good news about the fish fry on Saturday night. The fish cooker was destroyed over the weekend by a gal that was texting and destroyed the 30 thousand dollar cooker. The Pigg's assured us that the show would go on and this year BBQ will be served after the Championship Singles on Saturday. This is sort of a warmup to the NC State Shoot so come on down to Spartanburg SC......

Ok that is about it and another week is upon us. Rain in the forecast early in the week with cooler temps Thursday. Everybody have a great week and hello to Hap - Scott - Lou and Chase and until next week.....................Smokem