May 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

May 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Sunday Morning Spartanburg Gun Club.....

Hello and thanks for coming back to read the Smoke Report that should have been. I was pretty tired from the trip to South Carolina and really couldn't do justice to all of the happenings in Spartanburg.

Three shoots in North Carolina this week with LCP shooting their BIG50 Wednesday and their monthly registered shoot Saturday. Buckhorn has a two day shoot over the weekend and Jimmy Wilson has published the program.

Two shoots over the weekend with Coharie shooting Saturday with 12/11/3 stepping to the line. Al Williams won the singles with a 97, John Martin won the caps with a 96, Brian West won the doubles with a 83 (personal best) and John Martin won the HOA with a 268.

Old Hickory shot Sunday with 12/6/4 on the line. Jimmy Wilson won the singles with a 99, PK Kemp won the caps with an 88, Bad Brad Barnett won the doubles with a 94 and Jimmy won the HOA with a 275.

The weather was great when I arrived Thursday afternoon and there was a brief rain shower that sent folks running to their cars. That was the last rain to fall from that point forward. Friday through Sunday was beautiful and the wind was there to keep the bugs away.

I posted the winners from Wednesday through Saturday and will get everything I got up in that thread for the shoot. I did not get all of the winners for Sundays handicap but I do have some info to share. With the 100th Annual last year the attendance was down but might be similar to 2014's crowd. Evidently the SCTA got stuck with targets and were trying to find them a home after the shoot.

As with any attempt to run a shoot their are good things and bad things but all in all things ran pretty smoothly. At times the squad board was two to three squads off and that presented an issue for folks that didnt realize how to be sure they were on time. I took a radio to listen to the starting traps report when the next squad took the field and that helped a bunch.

As usual the the ref crew was excellent and thank God for these guys and the getting them involved has been great for NC and SC and maybe GA will get them involved next year. We had no problems at any time in all the events we shot and that is rare.....

Kentucky Senior Gold shooter Bobby Fowler - Doubles Sunday

Saturday singles Bobby Fowler took the Open title with a 198 and Rodney Raines won in state with a 198 also. Bobby and Rodney had to shootoff for the Frank Foster buckle and Bobby will wear that buckle proudly. Dave Daily took SC "D" Class singles with a 182 and hit the Lewis for about 125 bucks....

BBQ Saturday Night

The BBQ dinner Saturday night was a hit and it was some great tasting food and a lot to go around. Georgia is famous for their BBQ Saturday night dinner and I would be intersted to see how the SC "Q" compared to the GA offering. As I was eating one of our tent canopies flew off and that was the only time the shelters were effected by the gusty winds Saturday night.

Wally Lowry and Dan Johnson - racing the light......

Dan Johnson and TN Wally Lowry after a 5 round singles shootoff...

Speaking of Saturday night I stuck around for a shootoff between TN shooter Wally Lowry and Dan Johnson. Dan would have been to SGC eralier in the week had he not been delayed by UPS in the delivery of parts for his Caesar Guerini. Wally and Dan went four boxes tied in front of the clubhouse with 98's and they commenced to go three turns on the trap. Morg Shaw and I was porch sitting and noticed Dan's shells being a tad bit hotter than the previous 100 shells. Dan ran the field in the (almost dark) with one good eye and a fixed gun and that has got to make him feel pretty good. Morg asked him about the shells and Dan said I ran out of regular bullets so I had to shoots some handicap loads.....

Preston Lunn and Clay Floyd shootoff.....

Clay Floyd and Preston Lunn - AA Singles Non-Res

Preston Patsy Lunn knotted up with Clay Floyd Saturday night for Non-Res AA Singles. I think they went 50 birds with Preston the eventual winner. I talked to him Sunday and asked him about the shootoff. He said I was terrified......

Sunday doubles Jay Willson took in state honors with a 95 and VA shooter Clay Floyd won the doubles with a 99. I watched the squad that included Noah Gouge, Bobby Fowler, Doug Damron, Clay and Trey. They rolled them up like pro's with Noah breaking a 98 and Trey a 96. Russell Nuti took Open A and Bill Howe took Open D class....

Rodney Raines on the left won the State Singles and Handicap.....

Russell Nuti and Marty Hill shooting off Sunday....with 95's

Russell and Marty - Photo Courtesy of Morgan Shaw

JD Goodwin on the right won the Non-Res High Gun Caps with the lone 96

Handicap Sunday the SC Champ was Rodney Raines with a 95 and NC shooter JD Goodwin took the open honors with the lone 96. 96-94 got punches on Sunday which included Marty Hill, Russell Nuti and Aaron Willoughby from Kentucky. Marty won the shootoff with a 25 on trap 2 in front of the clubhouse.

I have no info on the HOA and HAA winners and had to leave about 5....I had a great time and I am sure I left a few folks out but what can you say.....Everybody have a great week and hello to Lou, Hap, Scott, Chase and until next week.........................Smokem

Mash on the link for pictures from Sunday....http://smg.photobucket.com/user/smokem/ ... lub?sort=3

Mash on link for scores from South Carolina - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1984