October 31st Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 31st Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Happy Halloween everybody and what a great weather weekend in North Carolina. Two shoots over the weekend with Polk County back in the schedule and Buckhorn hosting a Halloween shoot Sunday. LCP has been recovering from the remnants of Matthew and should return to shooting this Wednesday the 2nd for their BIG50.

I looked at trapshooters.com and noticed that Colonel Elbert Throckmorton passed earlier in the week. He was 92 and was the first trapshooter to break a 100 straight from the 27-yard line. He shot around the country and always showed up at the South Carolina State Trapshoot in May every year. I found a link to the article about his 100 from the 27 and the obituary from the funeral home in Sumter South Carolina. I have included a picture I took of him and JC Nunn several years ago.

Another shocker was reading about the death of Paul Quattlebaum in a Shotgun Sports magazine that was written by Ed Clapper. Paul developed throat cancer and underwent procedures to battle the disease. Paul shot with Ed in North Carolina and maybe South Carolina and Paul and I stayed in touch by cell and email. He was an interesting man and shot Perazzi’s and Krieghoff’s and Ed has still yet to get Paul’s safe open after his death. Ed seems to think there are several Perazzi’s still in the safe. I have searched for a picture I took of him at Spartanburg and will get it posted when I find it. It just goes to show that if you don’t keep up with your friends they will be gone before you can say goodbye. The picture below came off his Facebook page and was taken at the Pennsylvania State Shoot….He had lost a bunch of weight and went from 210 to 160 pounds……

Polk County held their first registered shoot in many years and it was well attended. Morg Shaw won the singles with a 99, doubles with a 96 and HOA with GasGuns…..Gary Campbell won the caps with a 93. I would imagine that Polk County will be adding shoots for the 2017 season and hopefully I can get up there to partake of some Polk County hospitality. Morg is sending some pictures and I will get them posted ASAP.

Buckhorn held their Halloween shoot Sunday and a good group showed up to participate. John Miller won the singles with a 98, Randy “Boone” Jones won the caps with a 96 and John Miller won the doubles with a 97. David Miller outflipped John Miller for the HOA. Buckhorn will shoot the Toys for Tots the 13th of November so please plan to attend. If anyone has any pictures of the event please send them to me at fcr7@yahoo.com Thanks to Cupcake for posting the shoot and to Dan Johnson for the shoot writeup.

Two shoots this week with LCP maybe Wednesday shooting their BIG50 and Rockingham Gun Club will shoot their BIG50 this Sunday the 6th starting a 2PM………

That will be all for this week friends and have a great week. The Holiday season is upon us and the cold weather is just around the corner…….Hello to Lou, Hap, Scott and Chase wherever you are and until next week……………………..Smokem