March 13th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 13th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Greetings and hope I everyone dug out of that snow the weather people predicted for the weekend. Two shoots last week with LCP and their BIG50 and Buckhorn with their monthly shoot. Regardless of what the weather was or is going to be, trapshooting is upon us in a big way. The Southern Grand cranks up this week and North Carolina shooters will be on the grounds to win some trophies and collect AA points.

Low Country Preserve is getting folks on the birds and 16 folks participated in the singles event with three tied at the top. David Barron, Bill Boston and Harold Smith all finished with 48’s and David led all caps shooters with a strong 46. Not sure if these folks will be showing up at the Dogwood or the NC State Shoot but when they do will have shot every week for MONTHS. Pat Childers is the guru of the trap program and what a job he is doing……

Buckhorn shot Sunday and what a great write-up by Dan Johnson. Snow flurries and snow squalls started off the day but a hardy group of youngsters showed up to get it done. John Reitz won the singles with a 93, JD Goodwin won the caps with and 86 and the doubles with a 94. Junior Jonathan Rogers won the HOA with a 239 for his efforts. Word is that the limping curmudgeon is doing well and might have overdone it on the new bionic member…KupCake and Big Muffin were AWOL due to slick roads and Dan sure missed the moist round delicacies for dessert. Always a good time at BGC and check the calendar for their next registered outing at http://nctrap.com/shoots2017.pdf

Shooter Steve Karas called me Saturday from Tucson Arizona and he sounds like he is doing well. Steve shot quite a bit before he had a stroke and I know he misses getting out and breaking clays. It is always good to hear his voice and I try to call him at least once a month. I also called Bob Batke in Ohio and it looks like he will be heading to Myrtle Beach for some R&R in April. Bob shot with us in North Carolina and South Carolina and knotted up with JBird in the NC HOF caps one year after they tied with 96’s. He will celebrate his 83rd birthday the 18th and Happy Birthday to him.

The 2017 Bill Jacobsen Memorial shoot was held at the Silver Dollar over the weekend and it looks like some of the big boys are dialing it in. David Shaeffer, Tank Lunsford, Ray Stafford, Aaron Willoughby, Lee Raymond and Terry “wall chart” Jordan won the doubles with a 100 straight. When did Shaeffer move to Ft. Mill South Carolina is what I want to know. Brian “The Guido” Kellner is down for the SoGrand with his father and I heard tell Marty “Prez” Hill aka yoyo will be down later in the week. Not sure who all else will be there and I will try to keep an eye on the scores if possible……

Bill Norman RIP

Another NC trap shooter has passed and Bill Norman was a member of the Rockingham Gun Club. He really enjoyed shooting trap and took the first “Intro to Trapshooting” that was offered at the club. Jeff Galloway took Bill Norman and David Slaydon under his wing and they shot some great scores after a little instruction. I have posted the arrangements on the “Finished Careers” section of the site. He will be sorely missed and prayers are with his family and friends at this time.

Mash on the link provided for a video tribute to Bill................ https://webcasts.lifetributes.com/vids/5194/786177.mp4

Morg Shaw sent me some info about the Hunter Safety kids that competed at Hunting Creek in Harmony NC. Marshall Roten came out of mothballs to fill in for a kid that could not attend. He broke a 20x20 to enter the shootoffs and lasted 5 rounds of doubles shootoffs to place 5th in the competition. The 2nd Senior team scored enough points to be in the running to win a bid to the state again this year. Here are some pictures for the event..

That is about it and I hope everyone has a great week. If I get a chance to post info from the Southern Grand I will try very hard to get it written. Hello to Lou, Hap, Scott and Chase and until next week…………….Smokem