March 27th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

March 27th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Just a few days until April and the weather is already getting better. Three shoots last week with LCP - Watauga and Durham County all registering birds. I have posted shoot reports for LCP's monthly shoot and BIG50 and DCWC posted their results. Three shoots this week with LCP's BIG50 the 29th and Rockingham shoots Saturday and Sunday the 1st and 2nd.

LCP shot their Monthly shoot the 17th and had 10 entries. Harold Smith and Nathan Snyder tied in the singles with 88's, Nathan Snyder was higun in caps with a 81 and David Barron led all doubles shooters with an 81. 15-18 mph winds greeted 16 shooters for the BIG50 with Rich Long breaking the high singles score with a 44. Eight shot the caps with Larry Dudley and Pat Childers knotted up with 38's. They switch to 11AM start on 5/30/2017.

Durham County shot Saturday and encountered some windy weather. 25/21/14 stepped to the line for three events and Wayne Perry won the singles with a 95, Jason Holley got a 1/2 yard for and 87 and Greg High won the doubles with an 83. Junior shooter took the HAA with a 255x300.

Watauga Single Squad

Singles - the blank spots are where 25's should be....

Handicap Scores

Watauga sprung an early shoot in March and the weather was marvelous. Turnout was good and my man on the ground provided me with some great mountain pictures. He sent me the scoresheets for singles and caps and Tom Pitts will produce the real shoot report real soon. It looks like David Miller won the singles with a lone 98 and Brian "Killer" KIllner won the caps with a 92. That punch puts him square on the 22 after that 1 1/2 yard punch at the Southern Grand. Not sure who won the doubles but Pitts will splain all that. I did see that Tom Shelley dropped 10 birds on the first two fields and then ran 50 straight. John "Pop" Waters went 49/38 and not sure what happened on that last 50. Looks like George is tuning it back in after adjusting his peepers and I know he is anxious to get back in the groove.

Rockingham shoots this weekend with the monthly shoot on Saturday and a BIG50 on Sunday. New for 2017 is a chance to shoot FREE registered targets. If you participate in the first 5 registered shoots and shoot 500 singles/500 caps/500 doubles the sixth event will only cost you NCTA&ATA Daily Fees. Or if you dont shoot doubles just shoot the singles and the caps...Should be fun for all and hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend.

The Florida State Shoot is over and NC Jr shooter Noah Gouge decided to stick around to mop up some All-American points. Tosh Dillon from Tennessee and Luke Cowart from PA showed up to give him a run for his money….Noah was the Doubles Open Champ on Event #3 with a 100. Noah won Event #4 Singles with a 98, Non-Res Jr in Event #5 Caps with a 93 and won Non-Res Open Champ dubs in Event # 6 with another 100. Event # 9 dubs Noah won Non-Res Jr with a solid 99. Event #13 Singles Championship Noah missed the first bird out and ran the next 199 to win the Non-Res Jr RU. Event #15 Handicap Championship Runner-Up Jr with a 93. Pretty impresive I would say and what is next for the Gouge Man?

Back to the Florida State Shoot the Singles Res Champ was Lewis Knack from Pensacola with a 199 and the Non-Res Champ was Jr Luke Cowart from Kennett Square PA with a 200. Doubles Champ Res was Mike Evernham from Odessa with a 97 and Non-Res Champ was Slab Shaeffer from Ft. Mill S.C. with a 99. Handicap Res Champ was Donald Hines from Crawfordsville with a 95 and Non-Res Champ was Harlan Campbell from Tribune KS with a 97. All Around Res Champ was Andrew Loitz from Coral Springs with a 384 and Non-Res AA Champ was Harlan Campbell with a 392. Last but not least the Res HAA Champ was Matt Trammell from Fernadina Beach with a 1216 and Non-Res Champ was Jr shooter Dillon Tosh from Manchester TN with a 1260.......

Looks like another well attended Florida State shoot and the 70 shooter deficit would not have happened except for one day that a good portion of shooters sat the bench due to horrible weather. I did see Brad Barnett on the leader board and not many NC shooters attended the shoot. I did see my Indian Chief Henry Siemanowski and his wife Black shooting at the SG and the Florida State Shoot. The year JC was inducted into the Indians Mr. Black (Henry's FINLAW) met JC and shortly after that event at Bradford Mr. Black passed away and he was in his mid 90's. I appreciate RJ Stuart for posting all this info because it can be very interesting.

Ruffsdale Gun Club - 8 fields - Taken in 2014 - JC Shot his last handicap on these fields....

As many of you know JC Nunn passed in 20i4 and shot his last registered birds at the Ruffsdale Gun Club in Ruffsdale PA. I was looking at Facebook and a link was posted regarding the club being sued for water contamination. Evidently a couple close to the club has had water issues and feel like the problems will depreciate their property values. We shoot the next two years in Bradford but return to Ruffsdale in 2019. Here is the link if you are interested in reading about this classic PA Gun Club.
http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/8 ... g.comments

Last Sunday night I got my first ride to a hospital in an ambulance. Typical Sunday with Church, lunch, trip to gun club, sons 48th birthday party, smoke report and then it happened. I was getting ready to go to bed and getting ready to take a 81mg baby aspirin. I felt like I had acid indegestion and then I felt my wrist for my pulse. I went to get the BP cuff and my BP was 180/100 and my BPM was 175. Yep my heart was running a marathon and I couldnt slow it down. I called 911 and the first person to get to me was one of the Sheriff's Department SERT medics and he said - I always wondered where you lived. He started the IV and then the ambulance came for the ride. Short story is AFIB and the visit to the regular doc said that I should be fine. He will be getting me to a heart doc just to be safe and maybe a stress test....Tough getting old but the old Smoke Report continues on.

That is it for now and I hope everybody has a great week! Hello to Lou, Hap, Scott and Chase and until next week......................................................................Smokem