February 12th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 12th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Well it is another weekend closer to Spring if you want to think positive. Tons of rain in our area but a few folks slipped out to shoot a few rounds on Sunday at the Rock. There is a shoot report for LCP and there are three trapshooting events this week so please check the NCTA calendar for more info…..Here is the link and it was updated 2/7/2018 - http://nctrap.com/shoots2017.pdf

Prayers for Jan Schultz, JT Brewer, Lewis Wyatt and David Miller’s wife. Lewis Wyatt is recovering from a treatment and it really tires him out. That certainly can be expected at any age, but Lewis stays positive through it all. He is planning to shoot this year and is planning to travel to the Grand with his son Steve.

I noticed on Facebook that Donnie Pigg turned 70 and I dug out some old pictures of him and posted them on his account. If I had emails about birthdays of NC shooters I would certainly post it. I was digging through some pix and ran across a fellow that traveled to NC with WVA shooter Bill Young years ago. Ken Connett traveled with Bill extensively and when Bill passed his travel somewhat diminished. He lives in Hometown WVA and that is near the town of Nitro. I used trapshooters.com to get someone to get his number for me and I called him Saturday night. His son moved to Wisconsin and his grandson is now carrying on the trapshooting banner in the family. Ken’s wife broke her hip sometime back and he is just taking care of her and has pretty much quit shooting.

Ken & Tim Connett GA 2004 Vandalia

Bill Young (RIP) attended the Kiner Clinic that was held at the Buckhorn GC many moons ago….

I was cleaning up some text message and ran across a few numbers and decided to give them a ring. I met Chuck Dallmus for the first time when I was inducted into the Konne-Yaut Indians at West-Penn Sportsman near Delmont PA. His brother Kevin was being inducted and I didn’t really realize who chuck was until I started looking at some pictures. Chuck relocated to Georgia and missed the GA State Shoot in 2017 due to his mothers passing. She was such a sweet lady and attended the Indian shoot every year. I attended the GA State Shoot with Ronnie Manuel in 2017 and really did miss Chuck not being there.

Chuck and his wife on the left - Mom (RIP) - Kevin Dallmus - Ruffsdale PA

Chuck had given me a number of a fellow that shoots at the Konne-Yauts every year and he missed the 2017 event at Bradford. I called him, and his name is Fred Leone and he is about 6’4” and very distinguished looking. He said that his wife had dementia and he rarely got to shoot and when he did shooters would sit in the car with his wife while he shot. He sort of reminded me of JC Nunn when he quit shooting for 7 years to take care of his wife. Getting old is not for sissies I believe I heard someone say and Fred was glad to hear from me.

Fred Leone on the far left at the West Penn Sportsman 2010

One of the folks I haven’t heard from for awhile is Ray Gaultney and I hope he is doing well. I don’t remember which shoot it was but maybe it was the 2017 NC State Shoot and we discussed my AFIB episode on March 19th. I know if anybody wants to shoot it is Ray and I am sure he misses being out on the line with those left handed 1100’s. Maybe he could email his cell number at fcr7@yahoo.com

Ray Gaultney and whodat…..NC Homegrounds

Several clinics in South Carolina and North Carolina……Harlan is teaching in Greeneville and Nora is teaching at Polk County and Charlotte R&PC. I know info has been posted for Harlan and Nora and I believe the info will be posted for Polk County in the very near future. I texted John Sandell and Ron Burdick to check on whether their clinics were full, and both said there were some spots left. If you ever considered getting some great instruction before the season begins you need to call and send your money on in…

I posted the 2018 shoot info for Polk County and I see that their dates are posted in the NCTA calendar. They are trying to get their trap program up and running and hopefully I can make it up there to shoot....

That is about it for this week and thanks for letting me expound on some of my trapshooting acquaintances. One of the best things about trapshooting is the friends you make along the way. Of course, not everyone believes that but to each his own. Have a great week everybody and hello to Lou, Hap, Scott and Cousin Ronnie and until next week………………………smokem