February 11th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

February 11th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

February weather is a little unpredictable but before you know it the hot weather will be here. Morg reported that they experienced 34-degree temps with sleet and light rain at Watauga but still managed to get practice in.

Lewis Wyatt is back at the house resting after another visit to the hospital. He sounds good and was in his shop when we talked. Continue to remember the birthday girl Jan Schultz, Carolyn Keever, Bob Goodman and others…

LCP has been shooting and thanks to Pat Childers for keeping us up to date on all the happening East of us. David Barron has been keeping everyone honest and honing his skills to get back to NC Homegrounds real soon. Hopefully we will get down there one day to spread the lead.

CSL

For those of you perusing the NCTA shoot calendar you might notice the absence of any 2019 ATA shoots at Coharie. I talked to Mac Herring last week and he shared with me the trials and tribulations of hosting ATA events for the last 28 years at CSL. For any club to be successful you need good help and great targets are a must. A tasty lunch is nice and prompt and punctual start times and turnaround time between events is always appreciated. Mac went out of his way to provide a great lunch and great targets.

He stated that he really appreciated all the help he has gotten over the years and he couldn’t have done it without them. But as he knows and everybody that runs shoots knows it is a ton of work before, during and after the shoot is over. It is a thankless job and really nobody wants to do it, but somebody has to. Mac has not ruled out the possibility of a registered shoot in the future and that would be great if that in fact happens. He was always great to send out his info via mail and would use tarheeltrap to promote his shoot and posted the scores in a timely manner.

CSL was an interesting place to shoot and it ate my lunch many times. I remember the Kiner clinic at Buckhorn and I took it during the week so I could shoot at CSL on Saturday. I wound up winning the singles,caps,doubles and had a pretty good day. The next month I rode down there and came out of the clubhouse after paying and was approached by Chris Lane when he was just a kid. He looked and at me and said, “hey mister did you come down here to clean us out again”? I felt like I had finally got CSL dialed in but that was not to be.

Mac I just want to say I appreciate all your efforts over the years, and I hate I didn’t get down there more often. Of course, I haven’t been shooting a lot anywhere and that might be even less in the near future. Maybe you will be able to get out and shoot a little more and even visit the NC Homegrounds this year…..Thanks again!

Speaking of the shoot calendar here is the link to the NCTA shoot calendar - http://nctrap.com/shoots2017.pdf
Lots of shoots to get those birds before the state shoots start cranking up. Sure, do not want to have to shoot penalty at the bigger shoots so please plan accordingly. Even Watauga is hosting a shoot in March and could be fun at that time of year……

TarHeelTrap on Facebook is rolling right along, and I have been picture digging for old shots of people and places. I have posted a few videos of folks shooting doubles and just posted a video of the Watauga Cartel shooting at Ft. Bragg while one of those big military planes was landing. If everybody would accept their invites, we might have 125 members in the group. Every Sunday night I post a new picture of a club from North Carolina. Last week I posted a shot of long yarders at the Buckhorn Gun Club in the bamboo jungle field 3.

State team info came out and I tried to copy the info from the post Marty Hill posted in Facebook. I will try to get that info and post it next week.

I hope everybody has a great week and hope you can get out and register some birds this week. Hello to Lou, Scott, Lewis, Ronnie and Anne and until next week…………………smokem
smokem

Re: February 11th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning,

Just wanted to add a few things regarding my comments about CSL. Lots of folks were involved in making the CSL shoot program a success and one of the early pioneers was Steve Edwards. Steve passed several years back and hopefully Mac can get me a picture to post of Steve. Mac and Steve needed a place to shoot and I guess the only place near them was Al Snyder's Pender County Club. Steve quit shooting and Al Williams got involved and continued helping provide a place to practice and register targets near Clinton NC.

The Patterson's were a fixture for many years at CSL and Sandy created some of the best trapshoot lunch food I have ever tasted. It took quite awhile to get everything prepared and transported to the club. Not sure how much Chuck helped but I am sure he was involved in some way. All good things somehow come to an end when the Patterson's moved to California and Mac's wife stepped in to fill the lunch void. Ann did a great job and I know Mac's house smelled great even before the shoot started on Saturday morning.

Now I know there are many more folks that pitched in over the years that cut grass, loaded targets, scored etc. etc. All great memories and one of the best clubs in the state. I have been digging through pictures and I found some that I never posted on my photobucket account. I will try to get them up for all to see and if you have any pix of CSL through the years please email them to me or post on Facebook.....it would be much appreciated.