2103 Smoke Reports

The ongoing saga of the gun purchased in Boone and shot around the Country!
smokem

July 29th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning to all and only a few days until the Grand American in Sparta Illinois. Watauga shot over the weekend along with a fun shoot at Rockingham. Coharie and Buckhorn shoot this weekend with Rockingham canceling their shoot due to construction. Just a few more months of heat until the joy of cool weather shooting returns to the Carolina’s.
Watauga hosted a two day shoot this weekend with a 500 target marathon on Saturday and a typical 300 target program on Sunday. At the time of this writing all I know is that Jared Pettet won the Ironman with a 456. Steve Watson took the runner-up with a solid 452 out of 500. Should have all the info very soon and thanks for the scores. Watauga shoots next on the 24th of August so please make a note.

Coharie and Buckhorn shoot this weekend with CSL on Saturday and BGC on Sunday. Both offer typical 300 target programs and both have hefty middle 50 pots so bring your “A” game this weekend.

Rockingham will postpone their August shoot due to the power company moving power poles in conjunction with the construction of the new clubhouse near the trap fields. Ron Anderson and Dewey Meisenheimer visited the Homegrounds during the Zone to get a look at the clubhouse at the HG. Not sure how long it will take to build but very soon the Rock will have a state of the art clubhouse and we cannot wait to post pictures of the progress. September 7th will be the next registered shoot at the Rock so please attend if you can.

The Grand cranks up the 7th of August and we know that several NC shooters will be attending the BIG SHOW in Illinois. Weather is looking good with temps in the mid 80’s up through the 6th and we pray that it stays that way for the entire Grand. Shooting in 100 degree temps cannot be fun for anyone and it might help get people out to shoot with the milder temps. We will be keeping an eye on the scores and winners and hope to have reports from the Grand on a day to day basis.

Rockingham hosted their Lewis Class Fun Shoot Sunday and it was hot. A good group turned out and some good scores were broken. Jeff Galloway posted the only 50 in singles and Lane Murray posted the only 49. Little did we know that Lane had changed the format of the fun shoot. I found a fun shoot formula on trapshooters.com that based your handicap yardage on the score you broke in singles. So the high score singles shooters wound up on the 27 yard line for the handicap event. The folks that broke 47/46 shot from the 25 and you get the picture by now. When the smoke cleared Jeff had the high score with a 94, Tom Brown 92, Drew Kung and Lane 91 and on and on. The Lewis Class Winner’s were Jeff with a 94, Freddy Redmon with an 89 and Roger Shaffer with an 81.

I just got the shoot report from Watauga and thanks to Steve Watson for all the info. Looks like Pitts is off on a fishing trip that Tom Shelley paid for so Shelley could get some State Team points in Pitts absence. As mentioned above Jared won the 500 target Ironman with Steve Watson a close second only 4 birds behind. Looks like it was a bit wet early on Saturday and it scared some folks off the mountain. 23 shooters showed up for the Ironman with 6 shooters completing the entire 500 bird event.

Sunday the weather played a small roll in delaying the start time for almost and hour. It produced cooler mountain temps and that is always appreciated. 22 shooters attended Sunday with Steve Watson winning the singles, Jared Pettet winning the caps and Steve winning the dubs and the HOA with a 272x300. Emma Ward whipped her singles squad with a solid 96 and earned a dinner at Makoto’s for her efforts. Sure great to see all of these youngsters shooting and shooting so well. George Ponton attended and is only 400 targets shy of his 100,000th registered handicap pin. He has plenty of shoots in August to get this done in good old North Carolina and maybe he will wait until the HOF in September?

Word on the street is that Chapel Hill terror and his sidekick Buckeye might head up to shoot in Lynchburg VA on the 3rd of August. John Domas puts on a great shoot and Lynchburg is an interesting place to shoot. We shot up there last August and it was the last time we got to shoot with Charlie Rinehart before his passing in 2012. Heck if I wasn’t on call and with the Rock not shooting I would have liked to ride back up there to see if I could break a better score than the 2012 visit.

Ok – have a great week and sure looking forward to cooler weather and maybe even some deep snow this winter? Shout out to Lou and to all the Konne-Yauts up North. As soon as I can get my photobucket account fixed I will post the pix from Ruffsdale…..And until next week……………………….Smokem
smokem

August 5th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and sure hope you had a great weekend. Two shoots in NC over the weekend and the next registered shoot in NC is the 17th. The Grand cranks up this week and it looks like the weather will cooperate finally after a few years of super hot conditions. NC shooters will be attending and we wish them well and hope to see them on the leader board.
Coharie and Buckhorn shot this weekend with CSL posting their scores. We hope to get the info from BGC today and will post tonight. Gorgeous George Brown won the singles with the lone 100, Glenn Alford outflipped Winky Mabe for the caps with 95’s and Mac won the dubs with a 93 and the HOA with a 282 x 300. CSL shoots next on September 7th so please attend if you can.

5 shoots remaining in the target year with Buncombe the 17th, Ft. Bragg and Watauga the 24th, Buckhorn and Durham County on the 31st. That pretty much wraps it up for this target year and it starts all over again with Buckhorn hosting a two day shoot on the 1st & 2nd of September. Looks like 25 shoots plus or minus from September to December with BGC wrapping up the physical year with a shoot on the 14th of December.

I left work Friday and decided to call Jeff Galloway and see how his week went. He answered and I asked if he was about to the house? He answered that he was in fact in Illinois and headed to the motel for the night. I missed out on the fact that he was going to be working in the Remington building over the weekend and flying back Monday. I know that he was excited about being up there and hope that they will use him much more in the future.

JC had an interesting week to say the least. His brother in law had a heart attack early in the week and was at Cone hospital. I got a few more details and found out that his sister in law was staying at his house until her husband got better. At the time it seemed all was going fine and I called him the next day. Nobody told JC that his sister in law had dementia and he had his hands full. And to top it off his brother in law passed and his sister in law wouldn’t leave the hospital. I thought I was going to have to get involved and get DSS on the case until her son showed up. The funeral is today and I sure am glad JC didn’t have to worry himself with having to take care of someone for an extended period of time. He told me that he had a hard enough time taking care of himself. Elder care is tough and I have had the experience several times. I just hope folks take care of me as good as I took care of the folks I was involved with.

I talked to Lane Murray Sunday night and he told me that 13 year old Hunter Murray broke a 22 in handicap and was only one bird away from tying his proud pop. He is coming right along and sure hope he stays interested in the sport. Lane is loading some super fast and super light loads for that BT99 and Hunter is doing much better pointing that gun. Great to see the youngster shooting so well and keep it up Hunter.

In other news Olympic Gold Medalist Kim Rhode has jumped ship and is shooting a DT11 Beretta now. Her new Wenig stock has the Olympic seal on the forearm and is truly a work of art. Not sure who else defected but I wish Kim well in her attempt to win more Gold at the next Olympics in Rio De Janeiro Brazil. My facebook friend Russell Mark also shoots a Beretta and it might be a DT11 also with that crazy half rib on the O/U.

OK – that is about it and hope to have more local news and of course news from the Grand. Have a great week and Lou I hope you are doing well. Until next week……...............Smokem
smokem

August 12th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning and another week in the books. No shoots in NC over the weekend and one coming up this Saturday at Buncombe. Pretty bad storm hit Guilford County Saturday and created quite a few issues for the power company. From what I am seeing as far as winter weather we might be in for a snowy winter.
Preliminary week is over and it has been tough keeping up with all the scores. Best shooters in the world produce the best scores of course. Hard to tell who is winning and the scores are posted up to and including event 9 from Friday. Looked like about 20 or so 200 straights today in the singles and quite a few 100’s in the doubles including Nora Ross. 100 singles were shot Saturday and the other 100 Sunday.

I try to look for folks we know and it looks like Jim Faber broke a 198 today, along with Canadian Terry Jordan that makes the wall chart. Also, noticed that Remington Rep Shane Naylor had a 196 today. Hopefully they will get all the scores up today for everybody to take a look at.

Earlier in the week Leo Harrison had a medical emergency at the Grand. From what we have read he has a blood condition that allowed blood clots to enter his brain. He had limited mobility on one side of his body and was unable to speak. From info on trapshooters.com it looks like Leo is on the mend and spoke a word on Sunday. We wish him the best and can’t wait to see him back on the line crushing targets…

Jeff Galloway called me Sunday night and gave me a rundown on some scores. He wound up breaking a 95 in caps and Hunter broke a 97 and got into a shootoff. Scott Hanes had a 96 and Lewis Wyatt had a 94. Looks like the weather has been great at the Grand and sure glad to hear it.

Not a bunch more to report and hope to have more info from the Grand sometime today. Have a great week and I hope Lou is doing well in Sunny Florida. Until next Monday morning ………………..Smokem
smokem

August 20 Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning and what a wet weekend for some parts of the state. What I did like was the cooler weather and there is more of that coming in the very near future. We had folks at the Grand and folks at the beach enjoying the sites and the seafood. With the Grand over folks can get back to shooting at the local clubs and I believe the Cardinal cranks up this week.
Buncombe shot over the weekend and I will try to get scores from that shoot. I would like to apologize for failing to post two shoots at Buckhorn and one at the Rock. Got to do better in the future and get it done. I have finally figured out how to post all my pictures again after Photobucket changed their import format. I have pictures from SC, NC, Konne-Yaut, Zone and a few others to catch up on.

Four shoots to end up the month of August with Ft. Bragg and Watauga shooting the 24th and Durham County and Buckhorn shooting the 31st and BGC continuing through the 1st & 2nd of September. Look for programs to be posted and I know that Watauga and Ft. Bragg have already posted their info.

The Grand is over and I think it is like the All-Star break with all the all-stars heading to the big shoot. The weather was great, the targets must have been great, and I am sure there are stories that will be spinning from here to yonder. Matt Bartholow won every single singles event until the Clay Target Championship and missed one in the shootoff. He also broke 500 straight doubles and managed to win one of the handicap events with a 100.

Took a look at the last two caps events prior to the GAH and both of the winners broke 100’s from the back fence and won close to 10 thousand bucks for about an hours worth of fun. Oh, the fellow that won the CTC and beat Matt Bartholow also won the doubles championship – great shooting Anthony Fortino. Of course there were other winners including Blair Surber, Bob Goodman, Tommy Freeman, Cassie Hammond, Don Renner, David Vaughn, George Hafkemeyer, Skip Trammell, Gary Olin, Trent Inman, Larry Hill, Kevin Polson, Sheldon Hostetter, Gary Gooch, Larry Bumstead, Jim Blevins, Juston Trimback, Robert Malmstedt, Clay Floyd, Terry Jordan, Bobby Fowler, Gloria Wood, Keith Heeg, Mark Isner, Jennifer Wilburn, Taylor Bolin and Jeff Galloway just to name a few.

As most of you have read already Jeff Galloway placed 12th in the GAH after a 97 and 3 extra rounds. He also posted 198+97+97 for his best ever score of 392x400 and backed that up with a 962x1000 to win RU HAA and HOA. I cannot see the HAA and HOA and not sure what other awards were given. We did have a few other NC shooters wind up in shootoffs and that included Lewis Wyatt with a 96 in caps and Hunter Galloway with a 97. I did see other NC shooters with their names on the board throughout the Grand. I will try to dig around to see if there were others that shot well and if there were any other shootoffs involving NC folks.

Sure hate I didn’t get JC out there this year and I have promised him that if we are both living we will make our appearance in 2014 and that is 8 years since our last visit in 2006. That was Joe Nimer’s last visit to the Grand and who knew that he would pass very soon after his return home. Not sure the weather will be as nice but that is why we shoot early if it is super hot and JC says he doesn’t sweat so that is a plus. He went out to the club Thursday and JT Brewer laid a whooping on him. JC said he was going to have to go back to the drawing board before he heads North again.

Grading is well underway at the Rockingham GC and I should have some pictures to post here very soon. They have already changed the landscape dramatically and we can’t wait for the building to begin. Exciting time for the members at the Rock and we hope you will come visit once it is completed.

The GAH winner is Joseph Winburn from Winchester Kentucky. He broke a 99 along with 5 others and broke the lone 25 in the shootoff to secure that coveted ring. He was on the 20.5 and just goes to show you that a fellow that bought his own gun and his own shells can win the biggest event in the trapshooting world. Hats off to him and hope to see him shooting more since he just started shooting last year and you guessed it – he has no neck…..

Have a great week and I can’t wait to see some of you on the line real soon. Would make it to WGC but I have a birthday party to go to…..Might get out of it somehow……maybe I hope…..Hello to Lou down in soggy Florida and I hope you are doing well and until next week……………………Smokem
smokem

August 26th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Not sure how to start the smoke report for August 26th but here goes. I was riding down the road Thursday and felt my cell phone buzzing. I carefully got it and noticed that Jimmy Wilson was calling me. I answered “I didn’t do it” and he commented of course you did. I thought he was calling to give me an idea of his program for his upcoming 3-day shoot. He commented – you must not have been on the internet today and I asked why do you say that. He then told me that Leo passed away and I just couldn’t believe it.
From the time I heard about his issues at the Grand and reading the info posted by the folks in the know I knew Leo had a tough hill to climb. I have posted the service info in “Finished Careers” and also posted his HOF write up as it appeared a few years ago. I didn’t get o spend a lot of time around Leo but did manage to take a clinic at the Watauga Gun Club a few years back. He was quite the gentleman and I always took time to watch him shoot at the Southern Grand in Odessa. My last picture of him was a shootoff with him and Kentucky shooter Jenna Knott at the Southern Grand. He will be sorely missed and our prayers go out to his family during this time.

Ok – two shoots over the weekend and I have one shoot report from Ft. Bragg. Tom Pitts will get the shoot report posted sometime today and thanks for the effort. Ft. Bragg hosted their shoot the 24th and Mac Herring won the singles and Marty Hill won the caps. I would like to say congrats to Gorgeous George Brown for winning the Champion Of Champions Veteran Runner-Up at the Grand American. George broke a 99 and then ran 50 straight to outshoot 7 other Vets that included the likes of Ray Stafford and Steve Hawkins. I also noticed that John Woolsey is back out shooting and glad to see his name on the board.

I do not have a shoot report from Watauga but I do have a report about George Ponton. I knew George was approaching his 100,000th handicap target record and had no idea it would happen Saturday the 24th at the WGC. Steve Watson commented that he shot at and broke his 100,000th handicap target and hats off to him on that accomplishment. Should have baked him a cake or something special like that.

I rode up to the Rock Sunday and it looked like a bomb had hit the place. I took pictures and will post some before and after looks as time allows. I walked down to field 6 to take a picture and JC Nunn was out practicing doubles. He broke 46x50 on his last round and he commented that he knew how to do it he just had to do it. JT Brewer and Lane Murray were shooting caps and were done for the day. I shot a few rounds by myself and really hated to leave with the weather so nice. Gave the Kolar a good bath and headed back to town.

Buckhorn hosts a three day shoot starting August 31st and continuing through Monday September 2nd. Saturday look for 100 caps – 100 singles – 100 caps – 50 pair of doubles. Sunday prepare for 100 singles 100 caps and “100 pair” doubles. Monday will be a typical 300 target program with 100 singles – 100 caps and 50 pair of doubles. All targets will count towards the 2014 target year. Weather looks great with temps in the mid eighties with minimal wind and hardly a chance of rain.

Pretty interesting reading on trapshooters.com regarding issues at the Cardinal Center over the weekend. It seems that some Australian shooters got classified in “D” class after shooting some mighty fine A/AA scores at the Grand. It is real important for shooters to carry their blue plastic card and your paper card. It is even more important to keep that card up to date with the averages figured and the class you were classified at the last shoot you attended. Folks think that the info automatically flows to the ATA and that info automatically flows to the classifiers pc on a week to week basis. The most accurate piece info a classifier can use is the correct and up to date info that you are responsible for carrying with you to the shoot. Just saying……..

Ok, that wraps it up and have a great week. I am going to try to take off Friday and you never know where I might wind up. Hello Lou and hope you are doing well in sunny Florida and also hello to Dan Johnson wherever you are? Until next week--------------------------------------Smokem……
smokem

September 2nd Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning and I hope you have made plans to enjoy your Labor Day Holiday Monday with friends or family. One three day shoot over the long weekend at Buckhorn and two shoots this Saturday at Coharie and Rockingham. Note: Buckhorn shoots a typical 300 target program today if you would like to get out of the house.
Buckhorn shot Saturday and Sunday and I will give a quick overview of the winners and will post all three days of scores tonight. Saturday caps Winky Mabe won with a 95, John Miller won the singles with a 99 and a flip with George Brown and John Rexrode, caps John Miller with a 95 and Winky won the doubles with a 91 and the HOA. Sunday singles John Miller with 100, caps Jeri Wilson with a 95 and doubles Winky with a 191 and he won the HOA. They had a good turnout over the two days of shooting and kids from Boone rode down Sunday.

Coharie and Rockingham will be shooting the 7th and both will offer typical 300 target programs. CSL has a mid-50 pot and Rockingham offers pots and 1st/mid/last 50’s in the handicap. Looking ahead Old Hickory (Rocky Mount) will shoot the 14th with Charlie Brown shooting the 22nd. Ending up the month the Hall Of Fame will be shot the 26th-29th. Also, Jeri Wilson and Bob Keever will be inducted into the Hall Of Fame during the Saturday night HOF dinner.

I took a little time to check on a few folks during the week and it is always great to chat with shooters when you haven’t seen them in awhile. Billy Thigpen is preparing for a procedure around September 23rd and we pray that everything will go ok and that he will be back out shooting real soon.

Jack Young took a trip to Spartanburg hoping to shoot the singles and the caps. He said that the sun was burning his arms and by the time the singles were over he was done for the day. He seems to think that he might have had a reaction to medication his doc had prescribed. You have to be careful with meds in the sun and the heat. Jack should be at Buckhorn today shooting.

I called John Woolsey to see how he had been and he made it out to shoot at the last Ft. Bragg event. It is always good to talk with John and it looks like he is back working and also works with George Brown part-time. Hopefully we will see more of John out when the weather gets a little cooler.

Crews Walden has a new horse in the barn. He bought a Ljutic as a backup gun and wound up getting the Krieghoff fixed by a local gunsmith in Winston Salem. He travels with and shoots with Charlie Keiger and they have running competition at all the shoots they attend. They tied at the recent Watauga shoot and Charlie wound up the winner since he was the challenger. Not sure how all that works but I am not going to crank that up with JC because he would be whipping me all the time and he won’t let you forget it either.

Speaking of JC he has been practicing doubles quite a bit and loading every chance he gets. He slips up to the Rock when the weather is good to experiment as he calls it. His nemesis JT Brewer and Lewis Wyatt also slip out to the Rock to practice just to stay extra sharp. I would imagine that JC and Lewis will lockup at the next registered shoot at the Rock.

Not a whole lot more to offer for this Labor Day smoke report. I heard tell that Dan Johnson might show up at Buckhorn to shoot today. If he does I hope he shoots well and maybe he will get Jimmy out shooting. Have a great week and hello Lou I hope you are doing great and until next week…………………..Smokem…….
smokem

Smoke Report For September 9th 2013

Post by smokem »

Hello, what a beautiful weather weekend and I hope you made the most of it. There were two shoots over the weekend and one coming up this weekend at Old Hickory in Rocky Mount. I believe a contingent of NC shooters headed to Virginia to shoot Sunday and I am interested to see how that went. With the weather getting cooler I hope to see more shooters out getting early season targets before the year end.
Old Hickory will hold their monthly registered Saturday the 14th. I would imagine that they will host a typical 300 target program. I will try to contact Al Bost to get the program and confirm that they are having a shoot. Charlie Brown will host their shoot the 22nd and I would imagine Cupcake Miller will post that program. That leaves the HOF the 26th-29th and please join us for the induction of Jeri Wilson and Bob Keever into the NC HOF.

Coharie held their monthly shoot Saturday the 7th and the high temp was only 84 degrees. Mac always holds a great shoot and I know shooters really appreciate the lunch his wife prepares. Looks like Al Williams outflipped Mac for the singles title after both broke 96’s. Mac fought back to win the caps with a 94 from the 25 and no program doubles were shot this day. Coharie holds their last shoot of the 2013 season on October 12th so make plans now to attend.

The Rockingham Gun Club held their annual “Red Dot” powder shoot Saturday the 7th and the weather was great. Wind was minimal and the clouds blocked the sun on and off all day. Tommy Brown won the singles with a 97, Lane Murray got him a “Rock” ½ yard punch for his 96 and Ronnie Manuel won the dubs with a 94 and the HOA with a 279. A special thanks to Richard Quesenberry for coming down to shoot and also for providing all that fine Red Dot powder that was given out for winning scores. I know that the guys that won the powder and actually reload really appreciated the powder. The Rock holds their monthly Lewis Class non-registered shoot this coming Sunday the 15th at 2PM.

Danny Lloyd rolled up from the Coast with his new travel chalet and also was sporting a traveling companion. I had the pleasure of shooting caps with him Saturday and everything was going along fine until Danny stopped the squad. I walked over to him and he said “I think I have a problem’. I looked at the end of his barrel and there was a piece of his choke sticking out of the choke. He took it to the building and he got a pair of pliers to remove the choke. When they finally removed it there was a huge portion of the choke missing and that piece of choke that was bent up and out of the choke. All agreed that he was lucky to have noticed the problem when he tried to rest the gun on the pad. Danny was unable to screw another known good choke into the barrel and went to his backup gun to finish the round. I will guarantee you he will be sending that choke off to Briley real soon and possibly the barrel off to Devault to give it a clean bill of health.

Can you believe I actually shot Saturday and yes I know that is hard to believe? I did sit out the doubles and had the pleasure of scoring for the doubles event. The 1st squad had JC and Lewis standing side by side and they went at each other two birds at a time. They shot singles together and JC nipped him by a bird. In caps JC nipped him by three birds and I think Lewis felt the doubles would change the course of the day. Well it didn’t quite work out that way because JC dug in and broke 46 hard using the Sean Hawley technique (right bird first) on post 4. Lewis broke a 44 using his patented pup – pop –pop doubles technique. It all came down to the 2nd 50 and JC let off but he didn’t let up with JC breaking a 42 and Lewis breaking an 84. It was fun watching those two and always glad to see them having a good time.

Also, Tommy Brown and Ronnie Manuel went head to head in the doubles and they wound up tied with 94’s. Ronnie broke 49x50 the first round using the Beretta O/U that Tommy Sold him and Tommy broke a 47x50 using a Beretta 303 that he bought from JT Brewer that bought it from Pete Pierce. The second 50 Ronnie broke a 45 and Tommy broke a 47 and that of course resulted in the tie. Yep they flipped and Ronnie took the honors.

Looks like Ricky Marshall broke a 400x400 this weekend at the Western Grand in Vernal Utah. 200 singles – 100 dubs and 100 caps with a 991x1000 for the program. I think he is considered a “one-eyed” shooter but I might be wrong about that one detail. That is some great shooting and I believe that Vernal is the club that Sean Hawley manages. Hope to get a shot at shooting some out West birds one day – that would be great.

One little detail I missed about the three day shoot at Buckhorn is that Winky Mabe hit the MID-50 pot at Buckhorn on the first day of the shoot. I heard tell that the 700 plus dollars would be rolled over into the marriage plans for him and his sweetheart. I was so looking forward to a “shotgun” wedding.

Talking about money it looks like JC Nunn is our newest NC multi-millionaire. That is correct and I could hardly believe it either? At 90 JC is now 2 million plus or minus dollars richer. He was just popping at the seams when he got to the club Saturday and presented us with his “official” document. We all said we would pitch in the 185 bucks he had to send in for “processing” fees. He said he was going to buy a piece of property close enough to a gun club so he could walk if he had to. I asked him if he was going to remember his chauffeur/body guard and shooting companion and he said sure he would.

It looks like the picture of the new HOF Museum is floating around on the internet. Great looking building and I cannot wait to see all of the historical trapshooting memorabilia on display. I visited the museum in 2005 with JC and got some pictures of Dave Daily and JC in the area where all the GAH winners’ pictures were displayed. For those of you that got to see the mannequin of Punkin Flock I actually got to meet her in person. When I got to see that for the first time it about freaked me out. I have some old photo slides of Punkin that my grandfather took years ago at a chain shoot in Florida.

I was digging through some files and ran across some old trapshooting pix that include my grandfather, Hunter Galloway’s father, Doc Spencer, John Rowe, Bradsher Wilson, Martha Paxton, Ronnie McKnight and quite a few others. Also pix from Pinehurst, Watauga and the state shoot in Winchester VA. It takes time to scan these but maybe I will get some time to do this and get them posted.

Have a great week and the weather looks really good until maybe Thursday or Friday with a chance of rain. Sure good to see Dan Johnson out shooting and if you are reading this down in Florida – hello Lou. Same time same place and until next Monday……………………Smokem…….
smokem

September 17th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning and another beautiful weather weekend. No scores from Old Hickoory and we do have info from the Rock and one shoot this weekend.
Charlie Brown will host a HOF warmup shoot this weekend. Typical 300 target program and Charlie throws some great targets for sure. Then the Hall Of Fame will be the next big shooting event in NC.

Rockingham hosted their monthly fun shoot Sunday and Ronnie Manuel outshot everybody. The format is 50 singles and your scores determines your yardage for caps. Ronnie shot well in the singles and had to shoot his caps from the 27. His total for the 100 targets was a 95 and that is great shooting Ronnie.

Lewis and JC knotted up again Sunday and JC nipped him by one bird. I guess it will come down to the HOF next week to see who has bragging rights for the winter.

Got an email from Roland King last week asking about the dates for the 2014 NC State Shoot. Roland is a great fellow and shooter and also has been known to wear a pink shirt to aggravate Jimmy Wilson.

Got a reminder from Boone resident Steve Watson about the date for the Chicken Wing Fling in October. Not sure why I left it off but anyway please attend if you have never made it before. Mark your calendar now for the 26th and you might even see frost on the grass and firewood in the stove.

Not much more to report on and I hope everybody has a great work week. I am looking forward to the Hall Of Fame and might try to get to the SC HOF also in Summerville SC. Hello to Lou and until next week............................Smokem
smokem

September 23rd Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Good morning from Jamestown NC and I hope you had a great weekend. One registered shoot over the weekend and a wedding last weekend that I somehow missed. Also, the HOF cranks up Thursday and we hope to see some of you there and if the weatherman is correct it will be great weather weekend.
Attention – I added a date and changed a date in the October calendar. Somehow I fat fingered the Coharie date and they shoot the 12th. I failed to list the Durham County shoot and they shoot the 5th. Thanks to Kim McKinney for catching those issues and ALWAYS consult the “official” calendar on the www.nctrap.com site. I try to be perfect all the time and that is almost impossible…..

The Charlie Brown Gun Club shot over the weekend and the day started out with liquid precip. That gave away to a warm and brisk wind that made the targets dance according to reporter “Cupcake” Karole Miller. Newlywed Winky Mabe won the singles with a 97 and the doubles with a 92. Kenny Cox won the caps with a 94 and the HOA with a 274x300.

I let the cat out of the bag didn’t I? September 14th Winky and Judy got married in Surry County. The wedding took place in Westfield NC and that is North of Pilot Mountain and West of Brown Mountain and East of Loves Lake. Karole Miller and Jeri Wilson made it to the wedding and hopefully I can get a picture of the wedding – maybe. Congrats to the pair and we wish them a long and very happy life together.

A big thanks to Tom Pitts for posting the “State Team” points and it looks like he posted them on the 22nd. That is a lot of ciphering and real attention to detail for sure. If you get a chance to take a look you will find the following. Men-Tommy Brown, Ladies-Karole Miller, SubJr-Addison Callan, Jr-Jared Pettet, Vet-Gorgeous George Brown, SrVet-Charlie Brown.

I put a link out for a show that was geared to reporting on the site of the Grand American. You can find it in the “The Lodge” then Out-Of-State Trapshoot Info. It discusses all of the events that go on in Sparta and check out the gal in the bustier shooting cowboy action rifle, pistol and double barrel shotgun. That site is a World Class shooting destination and hopefully I can get back up there in 2014.

The 23rd Annual North Carolina Hall Of Fame cranks up Thursday and it looks like a great weather weekend. Looking back at 2012 Thursday found Bob Goodman the singles winner with the lone 100, Steve Watson won a handicap shootoff with Tommy Brown after they broke 96’s and Kenny Inman broke a 98 to win the doubles. Friday found Jimmy Wilson winning the doubles with a 96, Gary Olson winning the singles with the lone 100 and Larry Hill winning the caps with a 98.

NCHOF Championship weekend the singles winner was Darvin Cornett with the lone 200, Bob Goodman the doubles winner with the lone 100 and Ron Burdick the handicap winner the lone 98. If the weather holds up and the wind lays down I would imagine similar or better scores for this great event. Oh I about forgot that the HAA winners and they were Tommy Brown with 383 and Bob Goodman with a 391. Karole Miller won the Lady trophy that was donated by T&F.

Jeri Wilson and Bob Keever will be inducted into the NCHOF this Saturday evening. I could go on for days about what these folks have brought to the table that made them qualify to be honored with this award. I do not have all of the details about what they have won on the trap field but one thing is true about both of these HOF recipients is that they are dedicated to promoting and supporting trapshooting in North Carolina. If you have never made it to the banquet you owe it to yourself to participate in honoring these North Carolina trapshooters.

I got a JBird report and that fellow has been out practicing. He slipped over to a squirrel stew dinner with one of his nemesis JT Brewer. Scott Shoulars is a modern day backwoods chef and I think he said 20 or more squirrels went into that concoction of goodness. Maybe that is one of his secrets besides eating cereal, blueberries and a cup of coffee in the morning. He will be at the shoot and I would hope that he will walk away with some kind of trophy.

Something to look for on the horizon is an article about JC in the next issue of TrapShootingUSA. Larry Grenevicki interviewed JC at the South Carolina State Shoot and I supplied Larry some details about events he won throughout his shooting career. He also took pictures and I am really looking forward to the article. Like JC said he is heading towards 91 in about 10 more months around July 13th.

That is about it for now and I hope everybody has a great week. I was in Salt Lake City last week and the weather was great there also. I managed to make it to the Browning factory store in Morgan Utah and the fellow told me where the trap clubs were located around the area. Lou I hope you are doing well and until next week…………….Smokem
smokem

September 30th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Hello from Jamestown NC and the weather was great where I was. Yes I was at the NC Hall Of Fame Shoot and we had a great time. Not sure on the numbers but one thing is for sure weather was not a factor.
Two shoots this weekend with Rockingham and Durham County hosting registered events on the 5th of October. Typical 300 target program at both events unless I am mistaken.

The Hall Of Fame shoot attracted the regulars and some new folks to the area. I heard great reports from some 1st timers and positive feedback is always welcome. 4 perfect days of weather with some wind and of course those big white fluffy clouds.

The shoot was run like a well oiled machine and I only noticed only one issue regarding a bad switch on trap 1. Over the three days I was there I did not have one broken bird out of the house.

Jerilyn Sue Wilson and Bob Keever were inducted into the HOF and the banquet was great. There were some tear jerking moments and I have it all on video in case anyone is making notes. Mrs. Keever did make a mention that the two folks being inducted cut the grass and cleaned the bathrooms.

One interesting note about the singles winner on Saturday and the handicap winner on Sunday. Both Gary Olson and Hunter Galloway were both shooting Remington 1100's. It was neat to see those gasguns in action and don't forget that JC broke that 96 on Sunday with a Beretta AL-391.

Not sure how the Spy Twins wound up over the 400 weekend birds and I hope to get that info today. They got a butt kicking by Steve Watson in the singles Saturday and then Steve ran 25 to win his "A" Class over Bill Howe.

Dan "The Man" Johnson showed his bad self over the weekend with a solid 385x400 for the HOF HAA. He shot a 90T for the singles and caps and not sure what gun he shot for dubs. Also great to see his lovely wife Mary at the shoot.

I would imagine that the official HOF shoot report will be available in the next day or so. Thanks to Joy Duncan for compiling all that info and I know all that data can bend your mind. I know it is a ton of work is all I am saying.

I am a little short on the report this week and it has been a great three days. If I can dig up anymore info I will post a midweek report. Oh, I had the pleasure of meeting Wayne Schiavi from New York. He and his running buddy came to the HG for the 1st time and they really had a great time. Wayne shoots at Myrtle Grove since he has a place at the Coast and I hope that he will work the HG into his schedule in 2014.

Have a great week everybody and I am looking forward to some Fall/Winter shooting - how about you? Hey Lou you taught Dan well and until next week..................................Smokem
smokem

October 7th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and the weather isn't looking so good today. Glad the rain held off over the weekend and this upcoming weekend looks interesting. We had two shoots over the weekend and hope to get a shoot report from DCWC sometime today.
Rockingham cancelled their monthly shoot due to low shooter turnout and that is the second shoot of the year that has been cancelled. Two shoots coming up this weekend with Coharie on the 12th and Buckhorn on the 13th. I would imagine that both clubs will be offering a typical 300 target program and both clubs have a middle 50 pot.

I noticed that Old Hickory in Rocky Mount have sweetened the pot for their upcoming shoot. The "Hardwood Swamp" shoot will offer payouts for the event winners with payouts for class and yardage. Hopefully the weather will be great for the event and sure hope folks make it down there to shoot.

I did get a little info from the Durham County shoot Saturday. It looks like John Miller made it to the 27 for the first time and a big congrats to him. His lovely wife Karole broke her best doubles score with a solid 94 and a big congrats to her also.

JC Nunn shot well at the HOF and he said he got a check in the mail this week. He wound up hitting Lewis for his 96 and he was pretty happy about his winnings. I asked him how he was doing on shooting supplies and he commented that he was out of shot and powder. Of course he has about 30 flats loaded so that ought to keep him for awhile.

I hope everybody has a great week and hopefully this weather system won't flood too many areas in the State. Hope you are dry in Florida Lou and until next week.........................Smokem
smokem

October 14th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Hello to all and the weekend turned out a little misty late Sunday afternoon. Two shoots over the weekend with a shoot report from CSL posted and hope to get BGC's today.
Thanks to Kim McKinney for the DCWC shoot last week and a good crowd and some great shooting to report. Kenny Cox won the singles, John Miller hit the MID50 pot (tnx to CupCake) and won the caps and the HOA and Jimmy Wilson won the dubs with a solid 98. Their next shoot is November the 2nd so please mark your calendars.

Three shoots coming up the 19th and they include Gastonia, Old Hickory@Rocky Mount and Buncombe County. Old Hickory is offering some cash for event winners and class/yardage winners. At the time of this writing Gastonia and Buncombe are probably offering typical 300 target programs.

D&D shooting clinic is coming to the Rockingham County Gun Club on October 26th & 27th. Dean DeBow and Dennis Devault will be offering two days of gun fitting and trapshooting instruction. I have posted a link to their website in NC Trapshooting Then Clinics. There are only a few spots left to complete the 10 spots required to hold the clinic.

I took a trip up to the Rock Sunday to hopefully shoot a round or two and the drizzle had set in. I ran into Lane Murray and JT dropped by for a little chat. I took some pictures of all the work being done for the building of the new clubhouse. Hard to believe all the dirt that has moved and we will try to post pix as soon as the building begins.

Trapshooting and eating go hand in hand for some unknown reason. October 26th the Watauga GC will host their annual "Chicken Wing Fling" in the mountains of NC. The foliage ought to be just about right at that time of the month. Hopefully the weather will hold up for the event and they will have a big turnout.

November 9th the Ft. Bragg GC hosts their annual "Turkey Shoot" and Marty Hill prepares some of the best bird I have ever tasted. Deep fried turkey with crispy skin and all the trimmings and cranberry sauce ruins me for the traditional Thanksgiving weekend festivities - Thanks Marty. Hopefully he will get that program posted for all to ponder.

That is about it and I hope you have a great week and I am going to Spartanburg for business sometime this week. Will not have time to drop by the GC but it is always fun to visit that city. Lou I hope you are doing well in Sunny Florida and it looks like Robinson Ranch is going to start using ERADS thanks to Phil Berkowitz. Have fun and until next week....................................Smokem
smokem

October 21st Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Another great weather weekend in the books and cooler weather is on the way. Three shoots over the weekend and a Lewis Class non-registered shoot at the Rock.
I have one shoot report from Ft. Bragg and it looks like they had a good turnout. John Miller won the singles with a 98, Morris Carroll won the caps with a 92, Jimmy Wilson won the doubles with a 96 and Karole "CupCake" Miller won the HOA with a 276. Mark your calendar now for the "Fried Turkey Shoot" on November 9th. Also thanks to Lisa Mabe for all her help scoring.

I did get a quick overview of the Rocky Mount shoot. It looks like Clay Floyd showed up and broke 100,96,96 and not sure of that won or not. I hope to get a few more details of all the winners real soon. Looks like Clay is hauling a brand new radar gun to the shoots he is attending just to be sure that targets are legal - imagine that.

The Rockingham Gun Club held it's monthly Lewis Class non-registered shoot Sunday. The weather was great and we had 5 first timers that had attended our into to trapshooting in 2012. Lewis Wyatt nipped JC Nunn by to win the high Lewis with a 91. Zax Tate took the mid and Ray Shisler took the low Lewis. Rockingham will host their monthly registered shoot on the 2nd of November so mark your calendar.

Buncombe shot Saturday and Jared Pettet won the singles with a 98 and the HOA with a 280, Randy Jones won the caps with a 94 and the doubles with a 91. The event was pretty well attended and thanks for the report Wiley.

I got a shock the other day when I dropped by Gander Mountain to check if they had any shells. I picked up a bag of shot and the guy scanned it at 60 bucks and that did not include tax. All the Rio shells are dried up but they had a good quantity of Federal shells that I might be shooting real soon.

Some of you picked up some shot that came out of the Kettlefoot club that Richard Colley was peddling. Some folks had some issues with it and had to add graphite just to get it to load. I bought 100 pounds and thought about selling it. Then I had a bright idea and it has worked pretty good. I had a 50 pound jug of Buckhorn shot left and of course had some new shot on hand. I have been loading it by combining a scoop of BGC and scoop of Kfoot and a scoop of new shot. I have not had one issue so far fingers crossed. Now this loading is just for practice and not competition shooting. You have to ask yourself the question - how much more expensive will it get before you stop shooting?

It is that time of year again and yes it is Chicken Wing Fling time. Last year Morg won the singles with a 99 and the HOA with a 270, Greg High won the caps with a 93 and Tom Pitts won the dubs with an 88. Well - if the weatherman is right the high on Saturday will be 48 degrees with winds near 10 mph. All I can say is that there is going to be some frosty dew on the pumpkin Saturday morning. I am on call this weekend and will not be able to attend. Can someone take it upon themselves to get me a few pictures please?

D&D shooting clinic is coming to the Rockingham County Gun Club on October 26th & 27th. Dean DeBow and Dennis Devault will be offering two days of gun fitting and trapshooting instruction. I have posted a link to their website in NC Trapshooting Then Clinics. There are only a few spots left to complete the 10 spots required to hold the clinic.

All I have for this week and hello to Lou down in sunny Florida. Have a great week folks and until next Monday morning..........................smokem
smokem

October 28th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Great weather weekend with a little cool air slipping into the area. Frost covered most of NC Saturday morning and thanks to Steve Watson I got a picture of the Watauga Gun Club covered in frost.
One shoot over the weekend and the Chicken Wing Fling is in the books for 2013. A great turnout with 2 full squads of youngsters shooting in the valley.

Gorgeous George Brown led all singles shooters with his 98, Doug Merkl posted a solid 96 for the caps and Greg High won the dubs with a 95 and the HOA with a 269.

Thanks to Tom Pitts for posting the shoot report and glad that folks showed up to shoot regardless of temps in the 20's Saturday morning. John Waters prepared 50 pounds of wings and according to Tom the kids cleaned them out.

Watauga's registered shooting season is over for 2013 and look for them to crank back up early 2014 around May. I will be looking for reports of any shooting activity from the Mountain. I know Tom Shelley will keep me posted and we appreciate all the info in advance.

Two shoots this weekend at the Durham County Wildlife Club and the Rockingham Gun Club. Typical 300 target programs will be offered by both clubs. Saturday weather is looking good with temps in the mid 60's and a touch of wind out of the Northwest.

Ft. Bragg hosts their annual "Fried Turkey Shoot" the 9th and what a great event. I have fond memories of eating turkey, dressing, mashed taters, cranberry sauce and there might have been a dessert or two. Last year Tom Brown won the singles and the HOA, Tom Pitts won the handicap and Lewis Wyatt won the doubles under the lights.

The Double D shooting clinic was held over the weekend at the Rockingham Gun Club. 7 folks paid their money and from what I gather the clinic was a great success. Dennis Devault tried to get a motel room Friday night and they wanted to charge him 250 dollars due to the Martinsville race. We should have some pictures to post today or Tuesday.

That is about all we have to offer for this report. Have a great Halloween and don't eat too many sugary treats. Lou hope you are doing well down in sunny Florida and until next Monday.......................................Smokem
smokem

November 4th Smoke Report 2013

Post by smokem »

Chilly morning in the Tarheel state and what a great weekend. Falling back in the Fall is always an interesting transition. Some folks handle it pretty well and some it takes a little bit to get acclimated to the time change.
One shoot over the weekend and the Durham County Wildlife Club had a crowd show up to shoot. Three 95's in singles included Perry Kemp, Jared Pettet and John Miller. Lady Jr Krystal Foster lead all handicap shooters with a 95 and Doug McKinney won the doubles with a 93 and the HOA with a 278.

I had the opportunity to shoot Saturday at DCWC and had a great time. We led Wayne Banks and Doug and Linda Howell to the shoot and Wayne won his yardage and Doug did also. Everybody had a great time and Doug and Linda headed back to Maryland because Doug had a league shoot Sunday.

Two shoots this weekend and both will hopefully be well attended. Saturday Ft. Bragg will host their annual "Fried Turkey Shoot" and Marty said that 4 turkeys would be prepared for the event. Sunday the Buckhorn Gun Club hosts their annual "Toys For Tots" shoot that provides toys for the Marines to distribute to children of needy families. Both are great events and I hope you will be able to attend.

Three shoots left in November and they include Gastonia and Old Hickory on the 16th and Charlie Brown's "Meat Shoot" on the 17th. Typical 300 target programs will be offered and hopefully we will have programs for all events. The "Meat Shoot" brings back great memories of shoots where the prizes were turkeys, hams, bacon and other tasty food staples. They also use to have turkey shoots at Durham County Wildlife Club back in the late 60's.

Folks were climbing mountains, fishing and watching football over the weekend. Lane and Hunter Murray spent the night camping on Stone Mountain NC Saturday night. Tommy Brown was at the NC Coast fishing and the Galloway family attended the Redskin - Charger game Sunday in Washington DC.

Back when I was involved in running the Greater Greensboro Hamfest at the Coliseum this was a busy time for me. Coordinating booth rental (60 thousand feet of space) tickets sales and all the other duties required produced a stressful month. The fest was on Thanksgiving weekend and for 13 years it was a working holiday. Then I realized that it was way too much work for very little return and I called it quits and it was the best thing I ever did.

I ran into Joe Balickie at DCWC Saturday and we spent a bit talking about the good old days. He mentioned that he had a bunch of pictures from the 60's, 70's, 80's and he is gathering them for me to scan and get put out on the internet. He has photos and slides that I can convert to digital pictures. I hear that Ken Duncan got the memorabilia from Ted Smiths daughter and it would be very interesting to see and pictures that Ted might have had.

Looks like the plumbing is in the ground at the new RCGC clubhouse. Contractors were going to pour the concrete Friday but the rain put a damper on that. Progress is sure being made and the steel should be going up very soon. Jeff Galloway posted some pictures on Facebook that show the latest changes being made.

That is about it for now and I hope everybody has a great weekend. Weather looks good all week with chilly mornings and temps in the high 50's most of the week. I hope to see some of you at Ft. Bragg and BGC. Lou you are missing all the fun and until next Monday morning..............................Smokem