33rd Annual Southern Grand 2013

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

33rd Annual Southern Grand 2013

Post by smokem »

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Sunday
@10PM - Just found out that I missed one. Terry Roush called Jeff to let him know he also won HOA AA RU with a 938 and only 5 off the AA HOA winner. Jeff had an 82 in one of the caps events and that did him in.... Can't wait to see the picture of the award..
@7:30PM - It is over and the Southern Grand Handicap Champ is Vet Pennsylvania shooter David E. Dubble. He broke the lone 100 from the 18 yard line and the next closest scores were three 98's.

Harlan Campbell won the HAA with 395 x 400 and the HOA with a solid 968 x 1000. That is some great shooting with all of the conditions throughout the week.

Jeff Galloway wound up winning the AA HAA with a 197 in the singles, 97 for a AA win in the doubles and a solid 94 in the handicap for a 388 x 400. That was 5 off the AAA HAA winner Mitch Loveless and 7 off of the 395 posted by Harlan.

That ought to wrap it up and thanks for stopping by to take a peek from time to time. The Southern Zone led the attendance with 319 with the Eastern Zone close behind with 299. NC had 16 shooters in attendance at the Southern Grand.

Springtime is about here and the state shoot schedule is right around the corner with the Dogwood at the HG in April. I can smell bugspray and suntan lotion right now.......

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Saturday
@11PM - Looks like Keith Heeg is the Southern Grand Singles Champion after a shootoff and we have no details on the number of rounds shot.
@2:45PM - The second 100 has started with squad 36 on the ready. 12 100's in AAA = 13 100's in AA - 4 100's in A - 2 100"s in B - 1 100 in C and 7 or 8 scores of 99 or 98 in D class?

It will be interesting to see how many of these 100's match it this afternoon?

@11:30AM - 130 Squads for the Singles Championship with 68 degrees and wind at 10 mph out of the South. Scores are trickling in at this time and we have a bit of info at this time.

Of course there are 100's in AAA, Jeff Galloway has a 98 in AA, 99 is leading B, 100 is leading C and a 98 is leading D class. There are quite a few squads still to report and it should be interesting to see how many 200's will be broken today.

Looks like Jeff Galloway did win AA in the Friday doubles and there are other NC shooters to report in the winners column. Check back a little later for the 200 target totals......

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Friday
@5:30PM - 91 squads for the Doubles Championship with a load 0f 98's in AAA and Jeff Galloway posted a 97 in AA. Brad Barnett posted a 96 in A Class and I am sure there will be shootoffs to settle the scores because I believe that is it for doubels...
We will try to do a wrapup later on as info comes in....

@12:30 - Three 97's at the top of the board at the moment with squad 108 on the ready. I would imagine that a 98/99 maybe will come in before it is all over.....who knows?

@11AM - 126 squads for the Remington Nitro 27 Handicap with squad 66 on the ready. 59 degrees this morning with wind out of the North at 9mph with temps becoming a little more comfortable this afternoon.

South Carolina SubJr Spencer Power did win the Fredric L. Minus handicap on Thursday. I don't have all the details but I would imagine that he has a proud father after that kind of performance.

Doubles begin this afternoon and we will keep an eye on the scores if possible.

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Thursday
@11:30PM - Thursday is over and what a windy cold day it was. Leo Harrison III broke the only 100 in the Harlan Campbell doubles that was carried over from Wednesday. Bob Schultz won the SubVet with a 95 and North Carolina's second winner of the week.
As far as I know Spencer Power broke one of the 96's in the handicap and the rjstuart site does not have the winner and RU posted. Hopefully he will come out on top!

Mitch Loveless and Ray Stafford broke the only 100's in the Class Championship Doubles with Mitch taking AAA and Ray taking Vet.

I talked with Tommy Freeman from TN, Bill Howe and Jeff Galloway. They all said it was cool and almost cold with rain on Tuesday that blew right into your glasses on the golf side. Jim Courtwright from PA siad that it was crappy weather for Florida and that they were headed back home.

According to Bill Howe the weather is looking much better for Friday and the rest of the competition. Looks like some NC shooters are really having issues putting scores together at the Dollar. Hopefully they will put it all together and bring some trophies back to the TarHeel State.

@1:10 - Charles Sagner (20) just posted another 96 and who knows what else will hit the top spot before the final score is entered?

@1PM - 106 squads today for the Fredric L. Minus Handicap. At the moment South Carolina SubJr shooter Spencer Power has the lone 96 with more scores to be reported - maybe?

Two 95's broken by Awad Feras (21) and Kenneth Darroch (27) with two 94's broken by Ralph Challingsworth (25)PA and James Courtwright (23.5)PA and one of my fellow Konne-Yaut Indians.

I have no idea of what the conditions are like other than possibly windy like Wednesday. Kay Ohye broke in the low 90's and Debbie Nielson Ohye in the mid 80's.

Only two events today and I will try to see what the final tally is for the caps before it switches over to the next event.....

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Wednesday
@10:30PM - The ultra short yarders ruled the roost today in event #8 Preliminary Handicap. 18 yarder Mitchell Hill from Coshocton Ohio broke a 98 and Robert Scott from Billerica MA broke a 98 from the 19 to take the top 2 spots.
No doubles were shot as far as I can tell and no NC shooters made the winners circle in the caps. Not sure what was going on with the doubles or the weather.....

@12:30PM - The boys and girls wait till that sun gets up with DST. There are only two 100's on the board and I would imagine that will increase as these last squads come in.

Antonio Lobo and Mike DeHabey are the lone 100's and I know they will have company here in a little bit. No word from any shooters on the grounds and I usually don't call until the end of the day.

I do not want a conversation to be a distraction to a shooter when they are spending good money to compete. I will try to post around 4PM if possible and update the caps event.

@10AM - Today is when all the big dogs come out to play. The 1000 target march begins this morning with event #7 Singles Class Championship.

105 squads will take the line with reported temps of 55 degrees with 69% humidity and winds from the North @12MPH. I know it will warm up but that is a little brisk for Odessa Florida!

Check back around noon to see if we spotted any NC shooters on the board! Or, got to www.rjstuart.com and enjoy......

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Tuesday
@8PM - Looks like Mitch Loveless II did it again with the lone 98 in event #6 Preliminary Doubles. Harlan Campbell started shooting today and had a 97 in the doubles. There was a 98 in B, 95 in C and a 91 in D.....
Billy Thigpen did win the "B" Class in the the Keith Heeg Singles and is the 1st NC winner of the week!

I will post the 2012/2013 attendance each day and it looks like the numbers were down on Tuesday.

@4:15PM - Greg Hohman is at the top of the leader board with the lone 98. One 97, two 96's and a bunch of 95's through 93's on the bubble. No NC shooters showed up at my last review.....

49 doubles squads are scheduled for this afternoon....

@1:45 - I have some info and NC shooters are on the board. Looks like four 100's in AAA, five 99's in AA, lone 100 in A, Billy Thigpen has the lone 98 in B, one 99 in C, and a 96 in D from KY. Bill Howe has a 99 in SrVet and that is the scoop for now.

69 Squads are headed to the line for the caps.

@11AM - 65 squads are lined up for the Keith Heeg singles and I haven't been able to see the AAA scores yet on the live feed. No NC shooters are on the board at the moment.

Mitch Loveless II was the top doubles shooter Monday with a 99 and several 98's in the vet group. I will get the 2012/2013 attendance stats up sometime tonight...

2012 - S375/H379/D258 - 2013 - S242/H283/D213

33rd Annual Southern Grand - Monday
@4:45PM - Event #2 Preliminary Handicap is over and one 100 was broken by Florida 23 yard shooter Alex Lipworth.
Two 98's, three 97's, six 96's, eleven 95's and sixteen 94's were broken in this event......Wow the wind must have laid down today.....

45 doubles squads are headed to the line and we will try to wrap it all up a little later this evening.

@1PM - The Southern Grand is underway with 72 singles squads on the line for event #1 Preliminary Singles. There were three 100's in AAA, 99's in AA, one 100 in A, 98's in B, 96's in C and a 96 in D for the morning.

It was 60 degrees with 90% humidity at 9AM in Odessa this morning and I believe the temps will be warmish prior to the rain moving in on Tuesday.

No NC shooters on the leader board at the moment with SC Lady 2 shooter Jan Slough on the board with a 93 and VA shooter Bobby Anders on the board with a 97 in AA.

It looks like 67 squads are on tap for event #2 Preliminary Handicap and it will be interesting to see if the wind picks up this afternoon. Hopefully we will have an update around 3PM......

2012 - S304/H316/D206 - 2013 - S317/H316/D214