2017 Southern Grand

Info about shoot dates and scores from around the nation.
smokem

2017 Southern Grand

Post by smokem »

The 2017 Southern Grand started Monday and as of this posting North Carolina shooters have posted some winning scores. The East is experiencing some rather cool and windy weather and the Silver Dollar Gun Club did not escape the wind and the cool temps.

Monday netted 256/258/165 for the singles/caps/ doubles events. 100’s were posted by juniors/junior gold/vets and srvets and lady Vickie Larkin from California. Heck the AAA winner only had a 99? Billy Thigpen broke a 100 but must have lost in the carryover to Tuesday.

Andrew Bush from Xenia Ohio won the caps with the lone 98 with the next highest score a 97 broken by Junior shooter Seth Cooper from Tennessee. Jennifer Wilburn from California won Lady1 with a 95. The doubles had a 100 and it was broken by Sam Foppe from High Ridge Missouri. Dave “Slab” Shaeffer won AAA with a 97 and North Carolina’s Junior All-American Noah Gouge got NC in the winners column with a 98.

Tuesday found 330/326/226 for the S/H/D events and the Dave Shaeffer singles still have a lot of winners to be determined. Adam Becker from Escanaba Michigan won the caps with the lone 96 and the next highest score was a 95 posted by SubVet Darrell Cook from Oxford PA. Prelim doubles had Harlan with the AAA honor with a 98 and the other 98 was broken by Vet Jerome Stefkovich from Avella PA. Once again Noah won the Junior with a strong 97 considering the conditions and him not feeling well at the start of the competition.

This Wednesday morning it is 56 degrees with sunny skies and winds in the 15mph plus range. I know Bill Howe, Billy Thigpen, Bob Schultz, Dennis Taylor, Noah, Steve Watson, Brian Kellner and I am sure I missed a few are at the SG. I checked the demographics by state and it shows 11 NC and 5 SC shooters registered. Morg Shaw and Steve Watson have been getting me info when available.

In comparison to 2016 attendance is down slightly over the first two days by 22/12/19 Monday and 24/20/13 Tuesday. That number is sure to jump up with each day getting warmer and warmer and in the 80’s by Sunday. I believe 90 squads are on the board for Wednesday’s singles…..

That is about it for this report and I will try to keep up with all the happenings if possible……11:03AM Wednesday……..
smokem

Re: 2017 Southern Grand - Wed/Thurs

Post by smokem »

Thursday is over and I will do a recap of Wednesday and today……..The weather has been cool but Thursday looked a little better than Wednesday.

Wednesday 405S/390H/278D – Singles for Wednesday is a little sketchy due to all of the carryovers. The Wednesday Prelim Caps was won by Emanuel Skotis from Burlington Massachusetts with the lone 97. Runner-Up was Mark Hunter from Stanton Kentucky with a 95. Dubs found Harlan Campbell the AAA winner with a 98 but Jr Gold shooter Big Bobby Fowler broke the lone 99 for his JrGold win. Noah broke a 98 to win his Junior category…..

Thursday 459H/361D was a big day for North Carolina with Brian “Guido” Kellner winning the Carl E. Gresley handicap with the lone 96 from the 19.5. He got a 1.5 yard punch to the 21 and about 400 bucks. Marty “Prez” aka YoYo Hill was the runner-up with a 95 and will now appear on the 24 yard line his next outing. Congrats to these guys and it was great to see NC sitting 1 & 2 in the winner column. In the Doubles Class Championship Dave “Slab” Shaeffer won the AAA category with the lone 99, Steve “Phenom” Watson won A Class with his 95 and Noah Gouge won the Junior with a solid 97.

Only three days left and it looks like the temps will be warmer and hopefully the wind will be even lighter……Not sure when I will get to post next but check back Saturday…….