June 19th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

June 19th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and good morning hoping you had a great weekend. Looks like the weather cooperated as long as you weren’t in Pennsylvania or Vermont. Two shoots last week including a BIG50 at Buckhorn and a 300-target shoot at Old Hickory @ Rocky Mount.

Buckhorn has cranked up a monthly BIG50 and it was well attended. Jack Rogers won the singles, handicap and the HOA. Dave Nelson won the doubles with a flip over NCTA Prez Marty Hill. Big thanks to all that showed up to shoot and to all that pitched in and helped.

Old Hickory @ Rocky Mount hosted their shoot on Sunday, and it was well attended. Ed Rabenda and Joe Nalley knotted up with 93’s and Ed winning the flip. Young Matthew Coates won the handicap with a 93 and got a ½ yard punch for his efforts. His dad Brian Coates won the doubles with an 87. Nathan Snyder won the HOA with a 258. And as always Marty would like to thank all the folks that showed up to shoot and to all that pitched in and helped.

We have folks traveling out of state and they include Caleb and Connor Mathis in Vermont and Bill Fryy and David Smiley in Pennsylvania. Leesa Church reported that the boys shot in a rain that made the rain at the NC State on Sunday look like a shower. Vermont has 6 program traps with a practice trap. The traps are lined up in a semi-circle facing a shot screen. Caleb won his singles carryover from Friday and won the Open Singles Championship after a shootoff with former ATA Prez Phil Wright. They are off to the Connecticut State Shoot and then on to the WVA State shoot. Bill Fryy managed to win a handicap trophy in one of the preliminary handicaps at the PA State shoot. There were three NC and 2 SC shooters registered but I am not sure who they were.

Several shoots this week in North Carolina. Friday CCLEOA will host their monthly BIG50, and Rockingham and Watauga will host typical 300 target programs. Also, Rockingham will host their BIG50 on Sunday with shooting to begin at 2pm. If you need more info, please check out www.nctrap.com for club info and directions. The weather for all locations looks iffy for wet weather but that could change. I will be fishing on the New River Friday and if it rains that will be great since the water level is down……

Plan now to attend the NC Hall of Fame Shoot in April 2024. Greg High and Bob Goodman will be inducted, and both are very deserving of their honor. Greg is a great fellow and just got his 250,000-target pin at the State Shoot. He is a great ambassador for the sport and has worked tirelessly to promote NC trapshooting. Bob Goodman was a prince of a man and unfortunately, we lost him way to soon. He always was pleasant and very attentive in conversations about all types of subjects. I will be assembling pictures for their induction ceremony and if you have any pictures, please send them my way at fcr7@yahoo.com

The Partridge Creek Gun Club in Ridgeville South Carolina will be hosting a Phil Kiner Clinic. September 7-10 with two two day clinics and a one day clinic on the 7th. benelliltk@gmail.com will get you to the person handling the registration and money. You can go to www.philkiner.com to look at the clinic format. I went to Phil’s clinic years ago and it really helped me figure a lot of things out. This is a great opportunity to be taught by a great trapshooting competitor and heck you might even win a Kiner dollar.

Ok folks that is about it for this week. Looking forward to shoot at the Bradford Gun Club in PA in July. Temps up there are much cooler and that will be great. Hello to Scott in PA, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week…….smokem.