Watauga Shoot Report & Pix- August 1-3, 2008

Post shoot results!
smokem

Watauga Shoot Report & Pix- August 1-3, 2008

Post by smokem »

WOW!

Another Glenn Miller Memorial is in the books and I think this one is for the books. The Ironman went off like a dream, and for another year we have a great young man to carry the banner of Ironman. Jeff Galloway came up wanting to get a little practice in before the Grand, and walked away with the big silver platter for HOA. With a one bird lead over Runner-Up, and that came down to the last ten birds on the last post of doubles. George Ponton came in off his tour to the western states to make his presence on the trap fields. He was holding the lead to the last post where he dropped two birds.

Jeff Galloway 458X500
George Ponton 457X500

Now; on to the Glenn Miller Memorial and yes this was one is number eight. Saturday the weather was great, we had a couple of showers roll thru one about lunch and then one around four before the start of day one’s doubles. But the shooters hung tight with the promise of a great meal and we got all of day one in. I must say we had a great turn out we had some ole friend from the coast that we hadn’t seen all summer walk in. And then we had several new shooters that we really enjoyed having out. Then day two, Sunday the number dropped off a little but the heart was there. With a Carolina sky full of hang gliders the shooters took to the line. And the battle went on.

It was two days of up and down, smack mouth and jabs going back and forth down in the dirt shooting. I think this started the week before with a couple of shooters stated that they had their names placed on the HOA and Runner_Up trophies. Well BamBam was to have nothing to do with that and went to the line on a mission. Morgan and Ms Kitty really held their own on the first day and posted Morgan first 50 straight on the first field of doubles. But then he had to move to field two and he let up. First pair out and he dropped the second bird. Bam Bam was setting on post five with a grin. One of those grins you would see on your pet cat just before the mouse runs across the floor. George not to be out done put up his own fifty straight for a 98 and never looked back. Not until the end of the day two Sunday when he drove out the gate with the HOA Champion bag in the seat beside him. Morgan was able to hold on to second place to take runner up. Jerry Weaver came up for a little R&R and was setting there tied for second place going into the last event, but with his need to get an early start back failed to shoot and that pretty much sealed the deal for Morgan.

HOA : George Suddreth “BamBam” 572X600
Runner-Up Morgan Shaw with “Miss Kitty” 556X600

Singles - 30 shooters
Champ – 99 – Hugh Stone
AA - 96 – George Suddreth
A - 97 – Lonnie Campbell
B - 96 – Joe Farmer
C - 96 – Philip Murray
D - 89 – Tom Smith flip Grover Hall
Vet - 96 – Don Kaufman
Sr Vet -93- John Cutcliffe
Sub. Jr-53- Harrison Mason

Handicap - 25 shooters
Champ - 95 – Hugh Stone
Short - 93 – James Payne shootoff Martin Carter
Mid - 91 – Tom Shelley
Long - 95 – George Suddreth

Doubles - 16 shooters
Champ - 98 – George Suddreth
AA - 95 – Morgan Shaw
A - 92- George Ponton
B - 94 - Ken Rhyne
C - 85 – James Payne
D - 89 – Jerry Weaver

Sunday August 3rd

Singles - 15 shooters
Champ - 100 – George Suddreth
A - 99 – Jerry Weaver
B - 97 – Richard Maddus
C - 94 – Todd Miller
D - 89 – Tom Smith
Vet - 94 - Glenn Alford
Sr Vet -96- Jerry Seaman
Sub Jr -64- Harrison Mason

Handicap - 13 shooters
Champ - 93 – Tom Shelley
Short - 91 – Todd Miller
Mid - 92 – Jerry Weaver
Long - 90 – Morgan Shaw

Doubles - 8 shooters
Champ - 94 – George Suddreth
AA - 91 – Morgan Shaw
B - 82 - Ken Moore
C - 85 – Richard Colley
D - 81 – Todd Miller

Let me close with saying thanks to everyone that worked and came out this year. I think we all enjoyed this year and I know a young man Harrison Mason, and his grandfather Ken Moore, had a blast. I think we have a new shooter for the ATA.

Thanks to All, Tom Pitts:-)

Mash on the link below for pictures supplied by Kolar Kid Richard Colley - THANKS!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow
Last edited by smokem on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluedsteel

RE: Watauga Shoot Report & Pix- August 1-3, 2008

Post by bluedsteel »

This was my first shooting experience at Watauga...I really enjoyed it...well run shoot, beautiful club...thanks for a great time!

Jef Solomon
MorgMeister

RE: Watauga Shoot Report & Pix- August 1-3, 2008

Post by MorgMeister »

Thanks Jef, we hope you'll be back.
Morg.........