The Charlie Smith Open Newsletter, October 24, 2008

Post shoot results!
elwood

The Charlie Smith Open Newsletter, October 24, 2008

Post by elwood »

The Charlie Smith Open Newsletter, October 24, 2008.

Did you attend “THE” world class shoot, the Charlie Smith Open? Well, you sure missed a good one if you were not there. They came from the east, west, south and north to participate in this “world class” shoot.

We had 14 entries in the skeet event. Bill Cody was defending champ this year. He got to admire the silver for a whole year or was it two (and worry about who was gonna try to get it). Well, the annals of legendary history is recorded now! Charlie Smith won the silver this year with a perfect score.

Mary Beth Faris took the LADY title this year. Mary Beth, Rick, and Bill all shot 49s. Whew!! (That’s Charlie letting his breath out) Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Rick and Mary Beth defended their HUSBAND/WIFE trophy for another year. Both of them shot 49s. Good shooting, team!

Henry McGinnis was defending the TRAP silver this year, but with 20 participants shooting for the silver, it changed hands. It was a hotly contested race. Jim Daughtridge, Ken Rhyne, & Kevin Moss all shot 48s, the high score in trap. In a sudden death shoot-off from the 25, Kevin Moss, a fairly new shooter, emerged victorious and won the coveted title “Trap Champion of the Charlie Smith Open. Great shooting, Kevin!

Lillian Smith was defending LADY champ in Trap this year and ably defended her title for another year. Lillian shot a 44 for the honors.

Charlie Smith & Lillian won the HUSBAND/WIFE Trap silver for this year. They shot the same total for both events –91.

Congratulations to all the winners at the CSO!!!

Now, for Charlie’s EN-QUIRE-ING facts!

Charlie got even with Hi 2 and Lo 6 this year. They had his number last year.

Wow! Can anybody lend Charlie some bucks? Did you see that “Sporting” 1100 Mary Beth was shooting. Mary Beth said she won it with a raffle ticket at the Ladies Charity Shoot held every year in Memphis, TN. It had the Ladies Charity Shoot enblem carved in the stock. That shore was some purty wood on that gun. I want one of those sporting 1100s.

I didn’t know Jim Daughtridge shot “skeet”, did ya’ll?

Donald Day won the Jap Trap side match. He had one shell left to move to the next station. I could see only one problem—Charlie & Bruce run out of shells. They call that, close but no cigar I think. Don shot a 22, Bruce a 21, and Charlie, a 20.

Lillian said somebody whispered to her, “If Charlie knew I missed that one, he’d really enjoy his lunch more”. Charlie couldn’t take the pressure so he went on to lunch.

Bill, I got some of that delicious naner pudding!

You know, shooting makes you hungry and we had a great “26th” meal. We had BBQ and chicken for entrees and pintos, baked beans, macaroni & cheese, tater-salad, mashed taters, biscuits, rolls, ham biscuits, naner pudding, pies, cookies, fudge, and cake. Mary Beth asked me did I see the cake. Mary Beth & Rick brought a cake decorated with the “26th CSO” on it.

We want to give Barbara Day a great big THANK YOU for getting the lunch all ready and set up in the club house. That’s a big job every year and an “important” one. We thank you again, Barbara.

We had two ladies that don’t shoot the CSO events, so they got to shoot at a turkey target. Barbara and Brooke walked down to the rifle range where we had the target stand set up just like a turkey shoot. Ronnie Smith ran the turkey shoot. Brooke won the cake platter by putting more pellets on the turkey. See, everybody has fun at the CSO, Landon.

In between rounds we had a “5 shots from the 27” event. Jim Daughtridge, Landon Morrison, and Ken Rhyne were the big winners here.

What was all that talk about the Lo house skeet targets?? I didn’t have any problem with them.

Can you believe it?!! (Shhh!!!) Bruce Whittemore and Mike Gilbert shot. . .. .. … .. SKEET.

Was this Landon Morrison’s first visit to the CSO? Landon, you have to remember, pressure, pressure, pressure—you’re shooting with legends at the CSO. We legends have to take a vote now—we might have to make Kevin a legend now. He got his name on the “silver”.

What was that Ronnie Stacey was mumbling about after every shot? Good to see you again, Ronnie. He’s getting used to shooting both events now.

Did ya’ll see that “San Remo” H&R Topper shotgun Rick Faris was shooting trap with. He said he did the porting job himself but it still worked on his cheek. Rick shot trap good with it and gave us a little piece of shooting wisdom, “Trap guns need a “hammer” on em”. That single barrel hammer gun got rick a 47 in trap.

Hi 2 leads the way every year at the CSO. This kinda tells us what we need to practice. Hi 2 was missed the most. Read em & weep: Hi 1 – 6 misses, Lo 1 – 5 misses: Hi 2 – 14 misses, Lo 2 – 9 misses: Hi 3 – 11 misses, Lo 3 – 2 misses: Hi 4 – 9 misses, Lo 4 – 2 misses: Hi 5 – 4 misses, Lo 5 – 4 misses: Hi 6 – 9 misses, Lo 6 – 9 misses: Hi 7 – 6 misses, Lo 7 – 4 misses: Hi 8 – 4 misses, Lo 8 – 4 misses. On the trap side of things,
Station 5 lead the way with misses. Station 1 – 21 misses: Station 2 – 17 misses: Station 3 – 19 misses, Station 4 – 19 misses, and Station 5 – 32 misses.

What happened to Randall Certain. He disappeared before I got a chance to say hello. I found out that Randall, Jim, and Ken had to go to another shoot, “Jap Trap with Phillippe” at Gastonia. Well, we ain’t heard the results yet!

We had some exciting shoot-offs at the CSO. In skeet, you had to shoot Doubles 3, 4, 5 miss & out by station. In trap, sudden death from the 25 yard line. Did I tell ya’ll, Charlie didn’t have to shoot-off this year! Kevin Moss won a 3 way tie shoot-off to win the trap silver. Any more ties had to shoot-off for position for picking merchandise from the table. If you won your shoot-off, you were the best in your group. Bragging rights for next year.

We want to thank Ronnie Smith for helping us out on the scoring and such this year. Every thing kinda gets hectic at the CSO.

We want to thank all the participants this year for attending the 26 th CSO. It was fun for all of us. Thank you!!!! And we want to thank everyone that helped on scoring, loading, running errands, changing machines over, you know, all those things that make the CSO a great shoot.

Remember, everybody, all the ads in our shoot flyer were from great sponsors of our shoot. Money donated for the ads is spent on merchandise to give away on the table. We greatly appreciate and thank all of them for their support of the CSO.

Remember, till next time: Happiness is 2atlo8 and “DEAD” targets all the way.

Shoot results:

Skeet
Charlie Smith 50
Mary Beth 49
Rick Faris 49
Bill Cody 49
Jim Daughtridge 46
Ken Rhyne 46
Kevin Moss 44
Bruce Whittemore 42
Lillian Smith 41
Ronald Stacey 40