July 24th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

July 24th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and I hope your weather was as nice as it was in the Triad. Lower humidity and highs in the mid 80’s made for some great shooting conditions in the area. Several shoots over the weekend including Watauga and Rockingham. CCLEOA shoots their BIG50 this Friday the 28th. Fort Bragg shoots Saturday and not sure how I missed this and I do apologize.

Watauga Gun Club hosted a two-day shoot as a memorial to Tom Pitts. It was well attended and Big D Tollison broke a 197 to win the singles and a 94 to win the handicap. I don’t have any info on the 300 doubles on Sunday. BIG NEWS on Saturday was Cobe Townsend breaking his first 100 straight and then breaking another 100 for his first 200 straight. That gun is really working wonders, but I don’t know how he does it with his cheek so far back on the comb. Whatever works I guess is what I say! Nobody could have predicted or even thought of Tom Pitts passing away. Such a nice man and so smart he was. We cannot ever replace him, but we can honor his memory by being nice to others and making their day just a little better.

Rockingham County Gun Club shot Saturday and three 98’s led all singles shooters. Mark Cox, Allan Davis, and SC shooter George Powell went extras with George running 50 straight for the win. All three are NCBOZO99 recipients and that shootoff was a virtual smoke show. Brian Coates slipped across the border from VA on the way to the NC Coast and won the handicap with a 94. His son Matt was a close second with a 92 and Brian got a punch for his great shooting. Billy Soper was on fire on his first 50 in doubles and was looking at a 48 on his first box until he dropped a bird on post 5. He proceeded to break a 43 on his second field for an event winning 91. In fact, all the winners on Saturday were former NCBOZO99’s recipients including Brian Coates. A big thanks to all the folks that attended and to all that pitched in to help!

Sunday RCGC hosted their Sunday BIG50 and Mark Cox led all singles shooters with a 50 straight. Allan Davis was close behind with a 47 before the handicap started. I scored the handicap for Mark and Allan, and it was like a 50 bird shootoff. Allan was down as many as four birds going into the last 25 and managed to wind up winning by 1. Which goes to prove that every target counts and it ain’t over until it is over! Four 90’s including Mark Cox, Jeff Martin, Colson Williams and Hunter Miller all split the second Lewis. Hats off to new ATA trapshooter Hunter Miller on his first registered 25 in singles! He was very excited and what a great young man! Thanks to all that attended and to all that helped run the event.

Please continue to keep Al Bost in your prayers after the loss of his mother last week. Al is a great fellow, and it has been a rough week for him and his family. Also, please remember Tommy Brown as he deals with several issues. He is doing okay but must undergo treatments on a regular basis.

I was removing trash from a field Saturday and noticed a shell box for some factory STS shells. The price on the box was $15.99 for a box of shotgun shells. $16 +/- for one box of shotgun shells oh did I repeat myself? You remember when a box of factory shells was $5 and below? I believe the price sheet for the shell house at the Grand has been published. From $85 - $135 a flat is what I read, and it proves that this has really become and rich man’s sport!

Big shout out to Tom Shelley on his trip to Alaska. I know he really wanted to make the Tom Pitts shoot but he was flying out on the same day it started. Tom Shelley lives life to its fullest and I know he will be taking some amazing pictures and have some amazing stories to tell.

A couple of shoots coming up the first week of August including a BIG50 the 2nd at Buckhorn. Also, Buckhorn will host a two-day shoot the 5th & 6th for those that don’t make it to the Grand.

Ft. Bragg shoots this Saturday, and it might be a little warm.....

Ok that is it for this week and stay cool and dry. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week…………………………smokem