August 14th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

August 14th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Hello and I apologize for the delay in getting the smoke report out. It was ready late Sunday night, and I was unable to access the site. Thanks to Justin Lecus we are back up and running. I did email the report to several folks in anticipating the website to return.

August 14th and I hope everyone had a great weekend. Not much registered shooting in NC over the weekend and the Grand American is over and in the books. A couple of BIG50 events in North Carolina this week and weekend.

The Grand is over and not sure of the total number of entries, but it looks like they had a great turnout. Some weather including rain and wind and some fireworks in the sky. No events had to be cancelled but one doubles event had to be moved to the next morning. That resulted in 4 events being shot that day.

When you go to the Grand you know that 100’s and 200’s will be broken in the singles with 100’s also broken in the handicap and the doubles. You need your A game and that is a fact. The Fiocchi Grand American handicap winner broke a 100 from the 21.5 yard line and the other 100 was broken from the 27. Matt Bartholow won the doubles with a 100 and might have won almost every other double event in Grand week. Dagen Voigtman won the Clay Target Championship after 200 and 600 in a shoot off with PA shooter Brandon Deal. All scores can be found at scores.shootata.com

North Carolina shooters did well, and I will list the names of folks that won. Jim Hughes, Greg High, Tim Davis, Mark Cox, JR Gage Malone, Sub-Jr Colson Allen, Sub-Jr Isaac McCoy, JR Greyson Stainback, Sub-Jr Hunter Cantrell. Getting your name on the winners list at the Grand is a major task and congratulations to all the winners.

30 NC shooters registered to shoot at the Grand and other folks were so close to winning. Just a target here and there with Jeff Galloway breaking a 198 in the Clay Target Championship and wasn’t even in a shoot off. Hunter Galloway broke a 94 Saturday and was one bird away from shooting off.

Starting September 1 fees will change for the ATA with the $3 fee jumping to $4. Also, NC will require $1.50 for a BIG50 to go along with the $2.00 the ATA charges for the BIG50 which is a new increase. So, we went from $6 daily fees to $7 and from $1.50 to a total of $3.50 for a BIG50.

Looks like the ATA tested something on the preliminary days Wednesday – Friday. When a shooter won on those three days, they got a certificate to redeem shells in the shell house. Yes, they gave away shells instead of trophies for those three days. The photographer that takes the photos said there was absolutely no business for those three days because who wants to spend money to take a picture of shells you won. I guarantee you that will not happen in 2024.

Have you ever been at a gun club when a gun blew up? I have not and hope I never encounter that, but it did happen at the Grand. No details and I here there are pictures floating around of the gun. Nobody was hurt as far as I know and that is a good thing. Hopefully I will have a few more details next week.

Two shoots in North Carolina this week including CCLEOA and the Rockingham County Gun Club. CCLEOA shoots Friday and the weather looks great. RCGC shoots Saturday and registration starts at 8:30 with shooting to start as soon as squads are ready. Durham County had to cancel their event Saturday due to a planned power outage.

Ok that is about it, and I hope everyone has a great week. Before you know it, cooler breezes will be a blowing and I am looking forward to it. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobbie, Phil, Thea and Anne and until next week……….smokem