September 25th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

September 25th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

The end of September is here and so is the long-awaited Dixie Grand. Not much going on since Watauga cancelled their trap shoot but Spartanburg held a shoot that netted 41 competitors. I was hoping Tammie posted the scores on shootata.com but they aren’t out there yet.

Palmetto Trap on Facebook reported the passing of Jerry Tuten Thursday September 21st, 2023. Jerry registered 62,725 singles, 58,550 handicap and 25,400 doubles. He shot his last registered targets at the South Carolina State shoot in May of 2022. A part of the SC crew that shot and traveled and always a smile on his face and a gentle handshake. It is tough seeing the old guard pass away, but I have been watching it since 1964. Prayers for the family at this time and I will be digging through the archives for pictures from days gone by.

Here is the program link for the Dixie - http://www.shootata.com/portals/0/pdf/2023DixieWeb.pdf – First two days is 300 targets and then 200 targets Thursday-Friday, 200 singles Saturday and 100 handicap Sunday. I was reading through the program, and it states that no pop-up tents are allowed behind the clubhouse due to the number of cars expected to be parked. If you are used to putting up a 10x10 or 12x12 you might want to check with shoot management before there are any issues. Not sure how many folks are expected but with the weather looking as good as it is a crowd might just show up. I read that they are limiting the singles to 84 squads on Saturday.

Dave Daily is back working and has been traveling to Iowa for business. He ran into a young man that shot for his college team and won his team championship. I don’t have any details and hope to get some by next week. Currently NC shooter Wyatt Shoaf is attending college in Iowa on a shooting scholarship. It would be a coincidence if both these young men attended the same school. Along with that he asked me about 2024 dates for GA – SC – NC state shoots. Georgia April 25-28, South Carolina May 15-19 and North Carolina June 5-9, 2024. Thanks to Dave Hollingsworth, Jim Faber & Tammie for the shoot info.

As soon as the dust settles from the Dixie there are several BIG50 events to make a note of. October 8th BIG50 at Charlie Brown GC, October 13th CCLEOA BIG50, October 14th Rockingham County (NTM) and October 15th Rockingham County. The BIG50 at Rockingham on the 14th will celebrate ATA National Trapshooting Month and Shamrock leather trophies will be given away for trophies. This was done in 2010 and 2020 and the 2020 event attracted a crowd so big we ran out of daylight. Hopefully the BIG50 format will allow us to get done in a timely manner.

Ok that is about it for this week. Hope to see some of you at the Dixie and shoot well until I get there. Hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac , Thea and Anne and until next week……..smokem