October 16th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

October 16th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Greetings from Jamestown NC and I see that the leaves are slowly changing in our area. CCLEOA shot Friday and RCGC shot Saturday and Sunday. Old Hickory at Rocky Mount will host a trap shoot this Saturday and the weather looks great temp wise but a bit windy.

Old Hickory will be hosting a 300-target trap shoot this Saturday. Old Hickory has three PAT traps and a very nice clubhouse. Of course, NCTA Prez Marty Hill will be running it and not sure if Cupcake Miller will show up with her mouth-watering goodies. Classification starts at 9 and shooters to the line at 10.

The Rockingham County Gun Club celebrated ATA National Trapshooting Month Saturday. When I woke up it was raining very hard and rained hard all the way to the club. Regardless folks still showed up to shoot and we called 4 squads to the line before 10. It rained pretty good during the singles but that didn’t stop VA shooter Samantha McInteer from breaking 50 straight to lead all shooters.

Handicap cranked up and the weather got a little better and that worked out better for everyone attending the shoot. 27-yard shooter Samantha McInteer led all shooters with a 47 in low light conditions. We used the waterproof scoresheets and they really worked good for the first two events. By the time doubles started the ran stopped and the wind died down. When the smoke cleared, we had three tied with 48’s. Isaac, Sam and Allan Davis would eventually end it in an actual shootoff.

We had three shoot offs that included a three round shootoff with Isaac McCoy and Colson Allen going 75 to settle Junior with Colson the winner. Then Colson had to shoot off with Chris Powell for their yardage group with Colson the winner. That left the doubles Champ shoot off with Isaac, Sam and Allan with Sam breaking them all to win the double. If you read all of this, you would realize that Sam was the HOA winner with 145x150. Mark Cox was next high with 140 and that was great shooting considering the weather.

We passed out some great Shamrock leather trophies and that is what it is all about. Not sure where my National Trapshooting Month pins got to but I will be calling the ATA Monday…..We had a drawing for a 4 box leather shell bag and if you broke a 25 in the singles or caps or a 50 in doubles you got extra tickets added to the bucket. Jacob Gossett won the bag and he was so excited he thought I was kidding…….Thanks to all that came out to shoot and to all that helped.

I took some time to reach out to a few shooters that I have not seen for a while. Billy Thigpen is doing well and have a few medical issues, but he sounded good. He is not able to do the things he really wants to do, and we wish him the best and he is in our prayers. I called Roger Bynum, and he was just getting over COVID and a knee replacement. Evidently a little one brought it into the household, and everyone is on the mend. He was preparing spaghetti for 300 people at the church, so I didn’t want to hold him too long. He is unable to shoot 12 gauge but can shoot lesser gauges bird shooting. It was good to hear from him and hope to talk to him again very soon. Like I have said before if you have someone that you haven’t heard from in awhile give them a call. I am sure they would be glad to hear from you. So many times, we put things off and when we do make that call they are gone….

John Sandell sent me two pictures of the Hanson Rod and Gun Club and the mentor’s memorial shoot. Held on 10/15 with 55 degrees and about 25 people attending. The Preston family supported the one trap field. Hopefully I will be able to provide the pictures. Files are too large and we will try to scale them down for next week.

I hope everyone has a great week. It looks like the weather is going to be cool and dry so enjoy the weather. Hello to Scott, Ronnie happy birthday, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac, Thea, and Anne and until next week smokem………