January 15th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 15th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and NC is bracing for a little winter weather and much cooler temps. I hope everyone had a great weekend even though it was a windy one. Brushy Mountain shot Saturday I think, and no information is available from that event.

Two of our Watauga Gun Club shooters sadly lost their spouse and services were held. Our prayers go out for Will Price and Morgan Shaw’s families. If you do have their numbers maybe wait a bit and give them a call to let them know you are thinking about them.

Two shoots in NC this weekend with a BIG50 at Watauga and a 300-target program at Buckhorn. Both events will be held on Sunday the 21’st. Looks like 35 high for Buckhorn and 29 high for Boone so dress accordingly. I would imagine that folks are looking forward to spring already.

I checked around for snow reports and reached out to Herman Glover near Bradford PA. He said there was about 6 inches on the ground and bitterly cold. He said the temps would be dropping below the teens in the next few days. John Sandell in MA said the last 6” they got was during the Jets game. He said the winds were rolling about 40 mph. Grace and John got out Sunday and shot a round under blue skies. I wonder what kind of gloves they wear when they shoot?

Happy Birthday to Horace Best in reaching his 80th year on this earth. His daughters arranged a surprise birthday party, and the pictures were posted on FB. He looked pleasantly surprised and a very happy man. He is currently holed up in his VA mountain cabin with his gal pal and one of his daughters. They are expecting 3-6” of the white stuff and he promised me pictures.

If you are planning on attending the SC or NC state shoot in Bostic, you might want to make room reservations. Jim Hughes evidently offered some rate info for both shoots at the Hampton and the HIX. Back in the day a “shooter rate” was established with a block of rooms for the attendees. When Dave Daily called to make reservations, he got a rate lower than what was published. Anyway, good luck and you might want to check AIRBNB also.

Horace Best told me that he has been finding factory AA light target shells for about $11 a box. Now nobody wants to pay $11 for a $5 box of shells but at least it isn’t $14. Of course, none of this is new news and the prices are not coming down. Folks are opting to buy foreign brands and they are running about $8.50 plus or minus. It might be worth paying a little more to be sure you are using that hard shot.

That should do it for this week. Hopefully you will escape the NC snowmageddon. Have a great week everybody and hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, John, Mac, Thea and Anne and until next week…………..smokem