January 29th Smoke Report

Weekly Trapshooting Info
smokem

January 29th Smoke Report

Post by smokem »

Good morning and what a crazy weather weekend in North Carolina. With all that rain the higher elevations are still getting coated with snow. Not much to report regarding registered shoot activity but several events coming up this weekend.

Spartanburg SC and Brushy Mountain VA both shoot Saturday the 3rd and both locations look good weatherwise with temps in the 50’s and very little chance of rain. Even the winds look mild for both locations. Watauga hosts a BIG50 the 4th and temps in the mid 40’s and no rain might allow the faithful to muster and spread some lead.

I posted a notice on Facebook from a club in Missouri regarding the increased cost of throwing trap targets. They announced that starting February the 1st the cost of a practice round will be 9 bucks. I believe the cost of White Flyers went up and I know folks that run clubs will have to pass on the cost but 9 bucks? There is basic math to compute what it costs to throw 25 targets and it is not rocket science. Some clubs need to make money to keep the doors open and I get that. Some clubs are non-profit and try to break even and then there are other scenarios. I am looking for info regarding targets thrown for 2023 and hope to find that by the next smoke report. We used to get a rundown of targets thrown by each club in the state and will try to find that also.

I talked to Dave Shaffer last week regarding the shoot held at the Silver Dollar. It had quite a few handicap events and copious amounts of added money. I asked him about the attendance, and he commented it was down due to the weather. Dave said one morning it was 32 degrees when they stepped on the line and the wind was blowing 15-30mph. I don’t know about you, but I am not sure I want to shoot in weather that cold. I think maybe John Sandell likes that kind of weather, how about it?

Rockingham shooter James Brown was hospitalized over the weekend after a little scare while doing a little rabbit hunting friends and with their dogs. I don’t have all the details, but he passed out and had to be admitted for observation. He is resting comfortably at Annie Penn Hospital in Reidsville. I have been able to text him, and the doctor just said it was a cardiac event. Hopefully he will be released Monday.

That is about it for this week. Hopefully the rain will hold off for awhile anyway. I really hope to get out and shoot this week and might try to visit Brushy Mountain GC Saturday. Have a great week everybody and hello to Scott, Ronnie, Cowboy, Tim, Bobby, Phil, Mac, John, Thea and Anne and until next week……..smokem